Sunday, July 6, 2008

Getting Started

For me, getting started is always the hard part. Well, okay--finishing is hard, too. But since a blog is never really finished, I guess this first post will be the most challenging for me.

I have been wanting to write a blog for a long time. But I have so many interests that I couldn't decide which one to focus on. For example, my sister-in-law SeDonna and I are on a craft kick right now. We spent the afternoon of the fourth of July putting together the cutest little beaded angel Christmas tree ornaments you ever saw. Then I showed her the cable scarf I am knitting--I took an intermediate knitting class last week--and I promised her I would teach her how to knit. So we went to a knitting/beading shop yesterday, where she bought herself a skein of yarn and a pair of knitting needles in preparation for her first lesson. And, between the two of us, we dropped $150 on beads and beading supplies; I have taken a couple of beading classes, and I promised Donna I would teach her how to string a bracelet, too. Well, I guess she went surfing the net in search of inspiration after we got home, because last night she sent me a link to a website with the most amazing variety of crochet granny squares. (We both crochet already--at least a little. Are you beginning to see how one thing leads to another?) Along with the link, Donna sent me a note saying, "Now I want to crochet too. Okay . . . I need to be realistic here." And I see her point, I really do. But sometimes I just don't want to be realistic. I want to do it ALL. (I probably should mention that I have occasionally been accused of living in denial. But I don't want to think about that right now.)

So in this blog I will share many, many adventures. I am a single mom, a daughter and a sister; a music maker and piano teacher; a writer; a lover and a friend; a dog owner; a maker of things, including but not limited to collage art, knitting, crocheting, quilting, and beading. I cook and bake and clean and do laundry and all the other several hundred things it takes to keep a household running. To tell you the truth, I often have a hard time keeping up with everything and maintaining order and balance in my life. It might have something to do with that denial thing. I am hoping that writing about it will help.

But now I am off to the gym...

No comments: