Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Sock #1 Complete!


I finally finished knitting that sock I posted a picture of in progress a while back. This is what it looks like now. I will admit that I had to re-take the basic sock class at Yarn Garden Knit Shop in Lawrenceville, GA, in order to accomplish this feat. Because by the time I got back to my project, I couldn't figure out where I was in the pattern. (I am not the only person ever caught in this predicament. As a matter of fact, there were three of us in the sock class that second day, and we were all repeaters!) Despite this apparent failure, I felt that I was performing a bit of magic as I executed the kitchener stitch to close the toe of my little sock. I mean, I started with nothing but desire and a skein of teeny tiny yarn and knitting needles that look more like toothpicks than knitting needles--and look what I have now! A perfect, tiny sock KNITTED IN THE SHAPE OF A BABY'S FOOT. There is NO SEAM. Even the colorful design of the sock seems somewhat miraculous to me; the yarn comes dyed to create splashes and stripes and zigzags as one knits.
My next project will be Sock #2, and then I will "graduate" to a pair of adult socks. But first, I need to scratch "Learn How to Knit Socks" from my list of 100 Things To Do Before I Die.
Hooray!

1 comment:

Beth said...

It is beautiful! I am so proud of you!! I think I want to try.