Thursday, April 9, 2009

Spring Break

It is spring break in Gwinnett County, Georgia! I don't really follow the school calendar when planning my teaching schedule--my Monday students would miss at least a fourth of their lessons if I did--but I do take spring break week off. It's a long time between Christmas and spring break, and all of us, students and teacher, are ready for a change in routine by the time April rolls around.

Unfortunately, I generally spend most of my spring break working on my income tax return. Since I am self-employed, I don't even have to wait for a W-2, so I really don't have a good excuse for procrastinating. Except that the weeks and months between January 1 and April 15 are always SO jam-packed. Even when I'm NOT blending families. Anyway, I have spent the better part of the past few days adding up receipts and entering figures into Turbo Tax. The good news is that it appears that I don't owe Uncle Sam anything this year. As a matter of fact, I think the first quarterly installment of my 2009 estimated tax payment is going to be covered. What a relief.

So I'm not quite finished, but I put it aside for today. Annie had an appointment for a tour of the Atlanta campus of Savannah College of Art and Design this afternoon, so while John and the girls were there, I did some much-needed housework and laundry. Annie and Val take care of their own clothes, but I am in charge of everyone else's, and although I was pretty well caught up before I left for the MTNA conference March 28th-April 1st, things have really piled up since then. I also walked a couple of miles. It was warm and beautiful outside today--on the heels of SNOW FLURRIES on Monday, how messed up is that??--so I took full advantage of it. I used to walk three miles every morning, and I'm determined to get back into that habit, regardless of the weather. I started today. Also, I had a nice dinner waiting when John and the girls returned--barbecued chicken wings, mashed potatoes, peas, and a "chocolate tres leches cake" (glorified chocolate cake mix). Everyone seemed pleased.

Of course, the day flew by, and I didn't accomplish half of what I was hoping to, but at some point in the afternoon, elbow-deep in soap suds, I realized that I was happy--really, truly happy. My life isn't glamorous. It isn't always pretty. But I'm doing what I want to be doing. I love my job, I love my kids, I love my John. We have good health, a roof over our heads, cars to drive, and food to eat. I am thankful. I am content.

I really need to post more often. Daily would be great. Weekly would be an improvement. Maybe I can find some reasonable compromise between the two.


1 comment:

Steph at The Red Clay Diaries said...

What a busy woman you are now. It's so great to hear how contented it has made you. ;)

Weekly posting... Yeah, that's something to shoot for!