Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Spring Piano Recital


The Asberry School of Music Spring Piano Recitals took place on Saturday.  That's plural because I have so many students I split them into two groups and plan two separate programs.  This year, the two programs totaled about an hour and forty-five minutes, and it would be unreasonable of me to expect any normal six-year old, after playing his piece in thirty seconds flat, to sit through another hour and forty-five minutes of music.  I think the parents appreciate this, too.  Although one family actually stuck around for the second recital after their daughter performed in the first. Everyone played well.  I have taken small groups to play at area assisted living centers throughout the year, and I believe that has made a tremendous difference. Overall, the kids who took advantage of those extra performance opportunities appeared more relaxed and confident in the recital, and they played better as a result.  And there was a great variety of music--everything from a duet arrangement of Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" (performed by six-year old twin girls, adorable!) to a student arrangement of "My Heart Will Go On" to Billy Joel's "Root Beer Rag" to Debussy's "The Sunken Cathedral" to a student composition that deserves air time on Whisperings Solo Piano Radio.  (Are you reading this, David Nevue?)

My favorite part is seeing the huge grins on those little faces as the last note of each piece is played.   One parent told me that their children's favorite part was the goody bags I sent home afterwards (consolation prizes since our venue no longer allows refreshments)  My least favorite part was saying good-bye to my seniors and another student who is moving out-of-state this summer.  I will miss you all greatly!

1:30

3:00

No comments: