Sunday, July 19, 2009

Dining at the Dockside


John and I have a new favorite Hangout: Dockside Grill. Monday afternoon John developed an urge to "look at sailboats" (it's a dream of ours to own a sailboat) so we headed up to Lake Lanier Islands. Dockside Grill was right there, next to the marina. We checked out the boats, then we stopped in. We lucked into a table right by the water. We weren't really hungry but we checked out the menu, anyway. We decided on the beer special, two-dollar Michelob Ultras. Delicious. 

It was a beautiful day.  This was the view from our table.

Best of all, I made a new friend. His name is Joe. He told me.

I really wanted to try the hot wings, but, as I have already mentioned, I wasn't really hungry. However, I did get hungry on Saturday. Nathan, John and I had gone to the mall in search of five-dollar swimming trunks for Nathan. (We didn't find any.) So I asked John if we could pretty please go back up to Dockside Grill. Of course he said yes.

Approaching the restaurant, I heard the sweet music of a steel drummer. As we stepped onto the patio, I saw that it was a real live musician. It was almost like walking onto the Lido Deck of a Carnival cruise ship.

The place was crowded, but we got a table right away. Nathan ordered a guacamole burger and fries. John and I shared an order of hot wings. Nathan drank a Coke; John had the beer special, two-dollar Coors; I had an O'Doul's. John also had strawberry cheesecake but I took just one teeny bite. (I am on a diet--tee hee!)

I tried to take a picture of Nathan, but he wasn't very cooperative.

I did, however, get a picture of John.

And Nathan took a picture of John and me.

I didn't see Joe, but I made a new friend, Charlie.

After we ate, we walked behind the restaurant. This is what it looks like from the back.

John took a picture of Nathan and me taking pictures.

And then Nathan actually let him take a picture of the two of us. That made me very happy.

It was a lovely escape. A reprieve from the tedium and stress of everyday life. A micro-mini vacation. Twice in one week.

My only regret is that I didn't get a picture of those hot wings.

Guess we'll have to go back.

No comments: