Monday, September 21, 2009

Brunswick Stew

I was invited to go to a birthday party last night. But Nathan woke up Saturday morning with flu symptoms, and he was so sick all week-end I didn't feel comfortable leaving him home alone. So about 6:30 yesterday, the boys and I feasted on the dinner rolls I was supposed to take to the party and a pot of Brunswick stew (an old family recipe--thanks, Mom!!) I had started earlier in the week.



It was good for my spirits. We have been eating catch-as-catch-can ever since Casey and Nathan started school and I resumed my full-time teaching schedule mid-August, so it was a treat for us to sit down together and share a hot, nutritious meal. Nathan didn't eat much, but his fever was down at the time, so he was at least a little bit hungry. And I was glad to have something wholesome to offer him.

Here are the recipes.

EASY DINNER ROLLS

1 cup warm water
2 packages yeast
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
4-5 cups unbleached flour

Combine the warm water and yeast in a large bowl; let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. Stir in butter, sugar, eggs and salt; beat in flour, 1 cup at a time, until dough is too stiff to mix. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours or up to 4 days. Grease a 13 X 9 pan. Turn chilled dough onto a lightly floured board. Knead in remaining flour until dough is no longer sticky. Divide dough into 24 equal-size pieces. Roll each piece into a smooth round ball; place balls in even rows in the prepared pan. Cover and let dough balls rise until double, about 1 hour. Bake in preheated 375 degree oven until golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Brush warm rolls with melted butter, if desired.

BRUNSWICK STEW

1 3-pound broiler-fryer
2 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 small onion, quartered
7 cups water
20 ounces frozen baby lima beans (2 packages)
20 ounces frozen whole kernel corn (2 packages)
1 cup onion, chopped
56 ounces diced tomatoes (2 28-ounce cans), undrained
16 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon salt
1 to 2 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
1/2 to 1 teaspoon red pepper
10 saltine crackers, crumbled (I use Ritz crackers)
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar

Combine chicken, celery, onion and 5 cups water in large stock pot; bring to a boil. Cover; reduce heat and simmer 1 hour. Remove chicken, celery and onion from broth, reserving broth in stock pot; discard celery and onion. Cool chicken; skin, bone and coarsely chop meat Add chicken, lima beans and remaining ingredients, except crackers, to broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, covered, about 4 1/2 hours or until desired consistency, stirring often. Add remaining water as needed. Add cracker crumbs and cook an additional 15 minutes.

NOTES: I use the smaller quantities of black and red pepper and the stew is still quite zippy. I like the burn, but if you don't like spicy food, you might want to scale back on the pepper. Also, since this recipe makes a huge pot of stew, I freeze the leftovers for later.

4 comments:

Natalie said...

You're making me hungry! Perfect meal for a rainy day....week.....month.....whatever :)

Carley said...

Do you happen to remember who gave you this Brunwick Stew recipe? :-) I remember when I had made it in Huntsville & you & Jeff were there & he thought & I think maybe you, too, at the time that he didn't care for Brunswick Stew and you both liked it so much I ended up sharing the recipe with you. I was getting the Southern magazine at that time and they had a cook off for Brunswick Stew and that was the recipe that had made one of the finals that they printed in the magazine and out of all of them it sounded the best to me so I tried it & of course Dad & I both loved it! I knew it would be good to serve for a crowd at sometime so I made it when you guys came once. I still make it occasionally and, like you said, freeze the leftovers for wintry meals. I just wondered if you remembered it or not. Wish I had some made right now. Takes awhile, but is worth it! Unfortunately, I'm no good at rolls or any kind of yeast baking as I have never figured out anywhere to place them to rise properly.

Pam said...

Yes, I DO remember that you gave me the recipe!! :) I should have given you credit in my blog post; I think I'll go back and do that right now! And if I can make yeast bread, so can you. I don't necessarily have a great place to let dough rise, either, especially during the winter months, because I keep my house pretty cool. I just set my bowl on the kitchen table and cover it with a towel and hope for the best. I really think the secret is in the yeast. I use SAF yeast and store it in the freezer.

Jennifer said...

I am so glad that you all got to enjoy a nice home-cooked meal together!!

So, when are you going to make those rolls and stew for me?! :) Mmmmm...homemade rolls...