Friday, October 23, 2009

I Did It!

My online novel writing class concluded with a 6000 word assignment, due yesterday at midnight, and I made my deadline! Granted, I had two weeks to complete the task. But as of yesterday morning, I had only 3000 words on paper. Still, between helping Nathan with his algebra homework, walking two miles, and teaching nine piano students, I cranked out the remaining 3000 words. I am proud of myself!

As a reward, I ordered myself a NaNoWriMo hoodie. What is NaNoWriMo? This quote is from the website: "National Novel Writing Month is a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to novel writing. Participants begin writing November 1. The goal is to write a 175-page (50,000-word) novel by midnight, November 30." I signed up a couple of weeks ago; since then, I have learned that my brother, Eric, who wears many hats, including this one,


and my friend, Stephanie, of Red Clay Diaries fame, have also made the commitment. I find it fascinating that none of us knew what the others were doing--cue the theme from The Twilight Zone--and I am delighted I'm not in it alone. If any of you decide to participate, my username is pamasberry. Please add me as your friend!

Anyway, I am going to follow the rules to the letter, meaning I will be starting a new novel from scratch on November 1st--wearing my new hoodie, of course! That leaves me with just a few more days to work on my current project, which I will return to on December 1st, just days before my online Advanced Novel Writing class (by invitation only!) is scheduled to begin. Woo hoo!

10 comments:

Steph @Red Clay Diaries said...

AAAAAUUUGH! Accountability!!

Yay for us future novelists! I am TOTALLY nervous about this, and MUST come up with a plot in the next week. But I think it could be really really fun.

I like your new layout. (And tell Eric I think he looks "cute")

Pam said...

Thanks, Steph! I am embarrassed to admit how long it took me to figure out how to change my layout without losing all my widgets. But I did it!

I don't have a plot, either. But the wheels are turning.

Accountability! It's a wonderful thing!

eric said...

I'm gonna order one of those hoodies, too. I think it will go nicely with the hat (hood down of course)

I have to do some major brainstorming the next few days-- I have not only no plot but not even the slightest clue what I'm gonna write!

Carol Hering said...

WTG!!! You are sooooooo talented, but always have been so that is no surprise...lol..good luck on the new book. Take care and keep those wheels turning...

Pam said...

Hey, Eric! The inspiration will come! Maybe we should put on our hoodies and spend a Saturday in November at Starbucks with our laptops. At least we will LOOK like writers! ;)

Pam said...

Hi, Carol! Thanks for your vote of confidence! You have no idea how much an encouraging word means to me right now. I'll keep you posted!

Theresa said...

Great, Pam. I'm considering signing up for the NaNoWriMo thing as well. Chewing my nails, tho! BTW, good looking new layout.

Pam said...

Hey, Theresa! I say GO FOR IT! I'm chewing my nails, too! ;)

Theresa said...

I did it & I got you for a buddy. What region did you pick? I'm in for a Saturday at Starbucks. Sign me up!

PS Nail chewings are beginning to pile up under my chair.

Pam said...

Way to go, Theresa! I signed up for the Atlanta region. There are two kick-off parties tomorrow; go to http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/node/3290895 for the info. I'll be at the Parkway Point Borders at 10:00 tomorrow morning. We'll schedule our Starbucks Saturday soon!