Sunday, October 18, 2009

Red Scarf Project

I have spent the past several hours knitting. And ripping out. And knitting.

It's been a difficult day. I won't get into the reasons why. But it was therapeutic for me to focus on the Red Scarf Project I discussed in yesterday's blog post. I started my scarf using yarn leftover from one I knitted for Nathan last year. But as I experimented with various patterns, it became apparent to me that I didn't have enough leftover to meet the guidelines for the Red Scarf Project--the finished product must be 5 to 8 inches wide and 6 feet long. Also, I was losing my mind over the fact that my yarn kept catching on a rough place on the tip of one of my knitting needles--purchased at Wally World a looong time ago, before I knew any better, for the first scarf I ever knitted. I tried smoothing the spot with a fingernail file (don't laugh, guys reading this blog), but I only made the problem worse.

So, I made a Michael's run. I had to get out of the house anyway, for those reasons I don't want to discuss. I bought a brand-spanking new pair of Clover size 10 knitting needles and 3 skeins of Patons Shetland Chunky Tweeds yarn in Deep Red.


Then I came home and knitted several inches of a couple of patterns before I finally settled on this one. I cast on 24 stitches, then for Row 1 K3, P3 and for Row 2 K 1, P1. Repeat Rows 1 and 2 for six feet. I am about halfway through my first skein of yarn and this is what I have so far.


Knitting has really helped take my mind off my sorrows. That, and the movie Duplicity. And five episodes of What Not To Wear. And three episodes of Oprah. And two glasses of chianti. And a bowl of butter pecan ice cream.

I'm proud of myself.

Now, I'm off to bed. And looking forward to the start of a new week tomorrow.

No comments: