Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Fast and Furious

So far this week, I've managed to teach a full load of students, keep the house reasonably tidy, meet my daily word count goal for NaNoWriMo (6670 as of midnight last night), AND knit a cap. Here it is.
I am quite pleased with the way it turned out. I am such a beginner that I still get a kick out of using circular/double pointed needles and knitting in the round. I used Patons Classic Wool in Dark Grey mix, and added two randomly placed stripes in contrasting colors from my personal yarn stash, as directed in the Vickie Howell pattern (click here). One stripe symbolizes me, the knitter, and the other the hat's recipient, to remind him that he is not alone. I like that.

This is my donation to the Warming Families project (click here), whose goal is to collect 25,000 hand knit caps for the homeless, mentioned in an earlier blog post. I am going to drop it off at the Kate Jacobs book signing in Decatur this evening. She is one of my favorite authors and I am extremely excited about meeting her. I had resigned myself to not going, as I usually teach straight through from 1 until 9:30PM on Wednesdays, and it seemed too complicated to try to reschedule such a large number of students. But then I had one family cancel due to a conflict and another person call in sick, and I was able to shuffle all but two of those remaining. So I am giving my last two students of the day a rain check, and will head over to Decatur as soon as I finish up this afternoon. I can hardly wait to get my very own, personally autographed copy of Kate's newest release, Knit the Season (click here), which came out just yesterday. Check in later for a full report!

6 comments:

eric said...

Wow, that cap looks really good sis! You are amazing.

Pam said...

Thank you, Eric! :)

Carol Burnside said...

Great job! I never learned to knit, though I can crochet up a storm, if need be.

Pam said...

I have tried crochet, but never quite got the hang of it. But one of the items on my "100 Things To Do Before I Die" list is to crochet a granny square afghan. In bright, bright colors.

Carol Burnside said...

You could totally do that. My granny taught me to crochet, oddly enough the first thing was a Granny Square. LOL

Pam said...

Thanks for the encouragement. I think I'll give it a shot--AFTER Christmas. I have too many projects planned between now and then already! ;)