Saturday, November 28, 2009

Moving On

Finally, I'm moving on.

I've tried online dating before, with reasonable success; last weekend, I joined eHarmony.com, which was recently described to me as "the best of a bad bunch." I think "bad" might be a bit harsh, but the dating sites certainly do have a number of shortcomings.

Anyway, I was inspired to take the plunge again by a quote I ran across on a friend's Facebook page.

"A boy who makes you cry isn't worth your tears. And a boy who is worth your tears would never make you cry."

I decided it was time to see if I can find a boy who won't make me cry. Maybe that will help me forget about several who have.

I spent several days completing my profile and sifting through the dozens of "matches" I received. Finally, I reached the point of open communication with a couple of guys. So I had to make a hard decision. Because, despite a handful of arduous phone conversations and a couple of less than satisfactory face to face meetings, I have been holding on to the tiniest shred of hope for reconciliation with a certain someone. Despite the odds for the future. And I didn't want to jeopardize that possibility by muddying the waters with another relationship. Then I read this.

"If he is stupid enough to walk away, be smart enough to let him go."

I know, I know--it's been obvious to you all along. But I've been doing my thinking with my heart. Now I'm ready to be a smart girl. Start thinking with my head. And I realize it's time to let go. Once and for all.

So, Round 4,279 of my dating adventures has begun.

It started at 9:30 this morning with a face to face meeting at Starbucks (and a tall eggnog latte) with a handsome stranger I "met" on eHarmony. We will definitely see each other again, maybe for dinner next time.

Next, while I drove to Alpharetta to pick Nathan up from his dad's house, where he had been since Thanksgiving evening, I had a stimulating phone conversation with another fellow from eHarmony. We were hoping to chat further tonight, but I am bogged down with writing (details below). So we will touch base again tomorrow.

Josh was in Alpharetta, too, and he sweet talked me into driving him home so he wouldn't have to use public transportation. By the time we got there, my stomach was growling--an eggnog latte isn't really breakfast--so we went to Firehouse and he and Nathan watched me wolf down a veggie sub. I even sprung for a soft drink because they have the most amazing drink machine at Firehouse. I was wishing I had my camera so I could take a picture of it. Next time.

Unfortunately, by the time Nathan and I got home, I had a migraine. I know better than to skip breakfast! But I took an Imitrex and chased it with a nap and woke up pain free a couple of hours later.

That made it about six o'clock by the time I started writing. Four hours later, I have only about 2000 words under my belt. But as soon as I finish this post, I am going to switch from my laptop to my Neo--I am much more productive when I don't have the internet to distract me--and get serious. I am actually thinking about pulling an all nighter and finishing this &$%# thing so that I can relax and enjoy the last day of the holiday weekend. I hope I don't wake any of you up with my screams when I make it to 50,000 words.

Check back in tomorrow for the exciting conclusion to my NaNoWriMo adventure!

7 comments:

Debra Becht said...

Again, you amaze me. Always have, aways will! You will meet that right guy. You are too precious and fabulous for that not to be in God's plan for you. In the meantime, you will do what you have clearly always done....and what is that you say? Simply touch the lives of others in ways that they will never forget.

Pam said...

Debbie,

Your comment brought tears to my eyes. I'll keep doing my best, and hope for the best!

Pam

Carley said...

Congratulations on finishing your book as I know you've spent hours on it and that is a good feeling of having accomplished the finale. The dating game sounds scary to me, but what do I know? I believe in prayer and leaving the rest in God's hand for His Divine intervention; if there is a "Mr. Right" out there for you God knows that & will bring about the right circumstance for your paths to cross. If not sometimes it's better to be lonely than miserable with someone (my own mother's old saying.) Wishing you the best in whatever you decide.
Again, congrats on your book!

Pam said...

Hey Mom,

Thanks! As for the dating game, there's a right way and a wrong way to play it, and I know how to play it safe! Also, my experience has been that just because you meet someone the conventional way doesn't make him Mr. Right. DON'T WORRY!! Even though I know that's part of your job description! ;)

Pam

Sandy said...

"My experience has been that just because you meet someone the conventional way doesn't make him Mr. Right." NO doubt about that! With some judicious screening, and actual honesty from people inputting their answers, you can screen out a lot of "objectionable" things via the online profiles. Little known fact: Me and my DH met through Personals nearly 20 years ago.. We had more in common than we could have imagined! At least the online dating is good way to sort through a lot of fish without dealing with the smell in the meantime. ;-)

SandyKC said...

That's me above.. just figured out how to link my Google to the Blogger!

Pam said...

Hi Sandy!

Thanks for sharing. I'd like to think I've become pretty skillful at wading through the muck on the dating sites. I've actually met a generous handful of men that way--and although I ended up seriously dating only one or two of them, most turned out to be very nice people who were who they represented themselves to be. I'm glad your story had a happy ending; I'm hoping for the same for myself! :)

Pam