Monday, November 9, 2009

Good News and Bad News

The past few days have been amazing.
(1) I started--and finished--a great knitted wool cap (click here).

(2) I met the fabulous Kate Jacobs; she tweeted our picture AND posted it on her blog (click here).

(3) I won a contest sponsored by the group blog Petit Fours and Hot Tamales; my name appeared in big orange letters (click here) on their site.

(4) I had special time with two of my boys. Saturday night, Casey and I had dinner out together; Sunday afternoon, Nathan and I hit the mall. My hard-to-please 13 year old found clothes and shoes that we both like, and I even bought myself a few things--a great chocolate brown pin stripe pant suit, three tops, and a cardigan.

(5) I got a fabulous new hairstyle at Shenanigans Hair Studio (click here--thanks, Jody!)

New life, new me

(6) I started National Novel Writing Month (click here).

The good news is that, over the course of the past eight days, I have completed approximately 10,000 words of a brand-new book, which approximately equals the combined total of all my fiction writing to date. The bad news is that, at this rate, I will not achieve my goal of 50,000 words in 30 days. By now, my word count should be 13, 336. I was under the weather on Friday, and had a busy weekend. That's all it took to put me behind.

But, although I have failed, I am not defeated. It is not too late; if my math is correct, 2143 words per day between now and Sunday will get me to 25,000 words by November 15th, the halfway point. I CAN DO THIS.

So I'd better get my weary bones to bed so I can get a bright and early start tomorrow.

Words of encouragement and/or advice are welcome! Post them here!

6 comments:

eric said...

You really aren't that far behind. You can totally do it! If I figured it correctly, you only have to do about 150 more words a day for the remainder than what the original goal was. Easy peasy! :)

Pam said...

I think I can, I think I can... Chugga, chugga, choo, choo...

Carol Burnside said...

Hey, you're way ahead of me in word count for NaNo.

I got a requested full from an editor on 10/31, so am having to edit and proof that plus re-write a portion before tackling my NaNo project. I figure as long as I push myself once this MS is out the door, I'll be farther ahead than I would be if I hadn't felt the NaNo push, so it's all good.


Great picture and 'do'. You look positively radiant!

Pam said...

Wow, Carol, if I had a requested full from an editor, I think my priorities would be right where yours are. CONGRATULATIONS!!

And thanks! I was ready for a change!

Tami Brothers said...

I love your blog, Pam!!!

Thanks for sharing your site over at the PF&HT! I'll be reading every chance I get.

AND congrats on the word count. You are way ahead of me too.... And I don't have Carol's wonderful excuse.

Tami

Pam said...

Tami, thanks for visiting! We've just got to keep plugging away, right? One day at a time...