Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving Day

It was a wonderful Thanksgiving.

2:30
You can't see us, but Donna and I are working our fingers to the bone in the kitchen. Meanwhile, the guys are busy holding down the furniture, surfing the internet and playing video games.

5:00
Everything is finally ready.
Nathan can't wait!

5:01
Taking a picture of Eric taking a picture of the table.

5:02
Taking a picture of Donna taking a picture of the table.

It took us less than thirty minutes to completely stuff ourselves, after which ghe guys adjourned to the living room while Donna and I cleared the table, put away the food, and washed the dishes. Yes, our Thanksgiving celebration was traditional in more ways than one. Sigh.

Seriously, I'm not complaining. I love cooking Thanksgiving dinner. Casey and Nathan fend for themselves for the most part, so I was happy to have the opportunity to put together a special holiday meal for them. And I was thrilled that Eric and Donna were able to come and be with us. That really made it a party!

We observed a couple of our quirky family traditions. Right after dinner, we listened to the A Chipmunk Christmas; then we watched Scrooged with Bill Murray. Carol Kane is the ultimate Ghost of Christmas Present. I love that stuff.

It has been good to take some time to reflect on all my blessings this week. I've already mentioned family and friends. I am also thankful for my piano students and their families--I have the best job in the whole world--and for my cozy little home and all my creature comforts. I have everything I need and most of what I want. Like everybody else, I have regrets and I have experienced loss, and sometimes the pain all that that is a lot to bear. Choosing to focus on what I have instead of what I am missing definitely takes the edge off.

I hope your Thanksgiving was satisfying, spiritually and physically. I would love to hear about it!

6 comments:

Carley said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures --made me almost feel I was there. I'm so glad that you could all be together & share the blessings of the day with each other. Your pie looks & sounds delicious. I've never ate one with the chocolate chips in it, but have made a lot of pecan pies in my lifetime. We had a nice meal at the VFW with other people without families. Better than eating alone and the meal was great--very traditional. We didn't carry out the tradition afterwards though as Dad is suffering with a cold that started coming on yesterday. He sounds like he feels miserable with it, too. Thanks for sharing your day!I love you!

Pam said...

Hi Mom! I'm sorry Dad is sick, but glad you all were able to get out and have dinner at the VFW. Maybe I'll bring a chocolate chip pecan pie for Christmas! I can't wait to see you!

eric said...

I feel I was unfairly portrayed in your narrative. I carried some stuff. And, ummm, I took my plate to the sink. And, ummm, I was babysitting the nephews. Yeah, babysitting. Because they needed adult supervision. Yes, yes indeed. That's exactly what that was! I took care of the children while the women were idly gossiping and talking about beads and yarn and such things. Yes, yes, that's how I remember it.

Pam said...

Eric, I sincerely apologize for failing to recognize your significant contributions to our holiday extravaganza. Choke.. choke.. gasp... cough...

Tami Brothers said...

Hey Pam! Sorry I haven't been over here this week! Busy, busy, busy!

Great pictures. Thanks a ton for sharing with us. It looks like you guys had a great time.

We've still got company here and LOTS of food. Should make for another great dinner...

Have a good one!

Tami Brothers
Petit Fours and Hot Tamales blog

Pam said...

Hi Tami!

We've got lots of food left here, too! I had a turkey sandwich and a sliver of pie for breakfast and dressing and green beans for lunch. Guess it'll be sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce for dinner! ;) Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Pa