Monday, December 7, 2009

O Christmas Tree

As soon as Nathan got home from school today, we headed to a local Christmas tree lot in search of the perfect tree. It ended up being the first one we looked at. "This seems too easy," I said. But I never found the catch. We paid for our prize and the nice men at the lot trimmed its trunk, put it into a mesh bag, and tied it to the top of my car. The drive home was, thankfully, without incident; then, I watched as my determined thirteen year old hoisted that big tree onto his shoulder into the house and onto the stand; afterwards, he patiently worked with me until the trunk was straight and the best "side" of the tree was facing forward.

Next, we went to Target and bought a new treetop star and four hundred new lights. On my own, I probably would have come home with simple white lights, but my boys have always loved the multicolored variety. Knowing this might be Casey's last Christmas at home, and that Nathan will be grown and gone in the blink of an eye, too, I think I made the right choice.

By the time we got back, we were tired from the day and all our efforts, so we decided to save the egg nog and tree trimming for another evening, and watch some television instead. Which reminds me, I never showed you a picture of the new set-up in our living room.

Again, Nathan deserves most of the credit here. He did the research and price comparisons, and selected a thirty-two inch flat panel television--to replace our very old twenty-seven inch tube television--and a new receiver--to replace the dead one that was a part of the surround sound system I bought back in 2002. (Yes, I realize the subwoofer and the speakers from the old sound systems are a different color from everything else; that doesn't bother me in the least.) I picked out the stand. Nathan loaded the boxes into the car, lugged them in when we got home, unpacked and assembled everything, and figured out where ALL THOSE WIRES were supposed to go. I was impressed.

I am looking forward to many more holiday adventures in the days ahead.

No comments: