Sunday, December 6, 2009

Scrapbooking Retreat

I spent the weekend at a scrapbooking retreat in the mountains of Ellijay, Georgia. For the uninformed, scrapbooking is "a method for preserving a legacy of written history in the form of photographs, printed media, and memorabilia contained in decorated albums, or scrapbooks" (this according to Wikipedia). To be honest, I have long been a scrapbooker wanna-be, meaning I have purchased all the necessary supplies for scrapbooking (albums, pages, decorative paper, cutting implements, stickers, etc.) but have spent very little time actually scrapbooking (arranging the photos in the albums and journaling their stories). But if a person is going to scrapbook, this cabin is THE PLACE to do it.

Jennifer waving hello from the front porch,

There were nine of us splitting the cost of the rental; my portion was less than $100 for the entire weekend. We each brought snacks to share and signed up to provide a meal, paper products, or bottled water. I left my house Friday about two o'clock, with my trunk full of my scrapbooking stuff, a small suitcase, two dozen chocolate chip cookies, and ingredients to make lasagna, a Caesar salad, and garlic bread for Saturday dinner. It was a beautiful afternoon and I had a very pleasant drive, sipping yet another Starbucks eggnog latte, listening to Christmas music, and enjoying the beautiful scenery.

There were deer everywhere!

I was the sixth to arrive; the first five ladies were already set up and hard at work in this room.

Tables, chairs, and good lighting.

I unloaded my car, set up my supplies in the adjoining room, similarly equipped, dropped off my suitcase in my assigned bedroom (I had two roommates) and put away my food. Soon, I was joined by friends Marcy, Lisa and Jennifer. That's when the party really started for me.

Marcy, Lisa and Jennifer

I can't tell you all the details of what happened, because there are rules governing these matters.

But I can tell you this: we talked, we laughed, we ate, we stayed up late, and there were margaritas involved. We even did a little bit of scrapbooking.

Marcy, Me, Jennifer. The cats who swallowed the canaries.

The weekend was just what I needed: some time away from work and worry, an opportunity to fully relax and just be with friends. It was my first scrapbooking retreat, but it won't be my last.

3 comments:

Carley said...

Sounds like you had fun & a good time. A break like that is good for you with the hard schedule you have. Glad you got to go & be with your friends for the weekend retreat. Love you!

Debra Becht said...

I don't know that I buy the story that some scrapbooking occurred. That would because I see no photographic evidence of said scrapbooking.... hmmmmm.... Could it be that the Margaritas took over the scraps or the books?

Pam said...

When I said "we" did a little bit of scrapbooking, I was referring to the group collectively, not to myself personally. However, you are correct that I have no photographic evidence to prove ANYTHING. However, I *DID* sort all the digital photos on my laptop into albums; these photos dated back to 2003, so that was no small accomplishment! But you're going to have to take my word for it. Now I am ready to start printing photos--and scrapbooking them! Do you scrapbook?