Monday, January 11, 2010

So Far

I finally got my instructor's critique on my writing assignment. Although she did make a few changes and suggestions in the text, her overall comment was this:

"The story moves along nicely. Great sense of how to use dialogue to pace as well as allow info about your characters to be revealed in an active way. Great sense of scene and your transitions between are very flowing."

This gave me hope. Maybe I should stop beating up on myself for not being a great writer - yet. After all, I'm taking the class so that I can learn ways to improve, right?

And while I'm at it, maybe I should stop beating up on myself for a lot of things.

I made a very ambitious list of New Year's Resolutions. The process of creating the list was useful, because it helped me to decide what I most want to accomplish in 2010. And I made the goals concrete, specific, and within my control - as much as anything is within one's control.

The challenge, of course, is how to incorporate them into my daily life. After all, I also have 50 piano students, professional obligations, 2 children, and a dog to work into my schedule. Occasionally, maybe even a friend - or a date. I have been keeping track of everything in a 5-subject spiral notebook - hot pink, of course - in which I created sections for health/fitness, writing, reading, hobbies and finances. While there is room for improvement, by and large I have done well. So I have determined that, as long as I am making steady progress, I will focus on my successes and not my failures, and if there turns out to be an area I neglect consistently - so far it's hobbies; maybe I should just bind off those fourteen rows I have knitted on Eric's afghan and call it a scarf - then I probably need to revisit those goals and decide whether or not they are realistic.

This isn't rocket science, is it? But I have to keep reminding myself. Because my nature is to be perfectionistic and self-critical. If I treated my piano students the way I usually treat myself, they would walk out the door and never come back. I think it's time to stop being my own worst critic, and start being my best cheerleader.

And now, I'm off to the gym.

2 comments:

Carley said...

Your decision as to how you were handling yourself by being your worst critic was almost entered by me yesterday on your previous blog, but I restrained from saying that. That is one flaw that you probably took from me and I'm sorry about that. I don't really believe in Horoscopes, but part of the Virgo description really fits me especially the perfectionist part and being self critical. What I do never quite measures up to anyone else (that is always my thought pattern). By being that way we become our own worst enemy.
Take the bull by the horns and recognize that trait and defeat it. You are far superior with your many talents and will measure up in any area with anyone out there.
Good advice: "There is no amount of darkness that can extinguish the inner light. The important thing is not to spend our lives trying to control the environment around us. The task is to control the environment within us."
Go, girl, go & may God bless you!

Donna said...

You rock. Great post :-)