Thursday, February 11, 2010

Crock Pot Middle Eastern Vegetable Soup

At the end of a long day, it is always nice to sit down to a home cooked meal. But by the time I finish teaching every day-last night it was 9:30-I am too tired to cook and too hungry to wait. So I hope I don't sound too much like Suzy Homemaker (I'm not) when I say that my crock pot is a lifesaver. Yesterday, I tried a new recipe, and it is definitely a keeper. Here it is.

MIDDLE EASTERN VEGETABLE SOUP

1 can garbanzo beans, drained
1 small eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes
1 tomato, chopped
2 small zucchini, chopped
3 small carrots, sliced
1 small butternut squash, cubed
1/2 head cauliflower, coarsely chopped
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
32 ounces vegetable broth
1 6-ounce can tomato sauce
1/2 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon basil
1/3 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon ginger

Combine beans and veggies in crockpot; combine remaining ingredients and pour over; stir to coat. Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours.

I topped mine with a generous sprinkle of freshly grated black pepper. Delicious! If you don't want the "Middle Eastern" flavor, you might try leaving out the cinnamon and ginger and substituting oregano and/or thyme for more of a "Mediterranean" flavor. But I liked it just the way it was.

We had brownies for dessert. The perfect finish.

Let me know if you try the soup!

9 comments:

Carley said...

Your recipe sounds & looks wonderful to me. I'd like a bowl right now since it's lunchtime.:-) Unfortunately, I'd have to cheat on the recipe & put some kind of meat in it to please Dad and then it wouldn't be the same. Oh, well, thanks for sharing. I also like your bracelet photo. You are a busy, busy daughter. I'm proud of you.

Pam said...

Thanks, Mom! I wish I could share it with you! But if you want to try it, I think you could add some meat--stew beef or chicken--and it would be really good. You'd just have to change the name. ;)

Gwinnett County Music Teachers Association said...

That looks really good. It has a lot of the same ingredients as my Moroccan Tagine recipe that I love. I'll have to try it.

Natalie said...

Sorry, I just realized I posted that as GCMTA :) oops....

Carol Burnside said...

This looks like it would fit well within my diet. Hubby and I are trying to shrink our waists before a cruise. Thanks!

Pam said...

Natalie, I think I need to get that recipe from you! :-)

Pam said...

Carol, I'm sure this is a very calorie friendly soup. And I love the fact that it is chock full of vegetables and all those healthy vitamins. I have a hard time getting my "five-a-day"-foods like this make it a lot easier!

Natalie said...

I'm making it today!

Pam said...

Okay, Natalie. Good luck! We're still eating leftovers. ;-)