Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Snickerdoodles

"What is a snickerdoodle?" asked one of my readers.

Snickerdoodles are crispy, crunchy cookies coated with cinnamon and sugar, perfect for dunking in coffee or tea or milk.

Snickerdoodles are NOT health food. Some days I grind organic wheat berries and make 100% pure and wholesome whole grain yeast bread. Other days I pull out the Crisco and white flour and make snickerdoodles. I make no apologies for this. Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.

Here is my favorite recipe.

SNICKERDOODLES

1 cup shortening, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 3/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Topping:
2 tablespoons sugar combined with 2 teaspoons cinnamon

Cream shortening and sugar; add eggs; combine remaining ingredients and stir in. Mix thoroughly. Roll in balls the size of small walnuts. Roll balls in topping mixture. Place about two inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees 8-10 minutes until lightly browned but still soft. These cookies puff out at first, then flatten out with crinkled tops.

Try 'em. You'll like 'em!

2 comments:

eric said...

+1 for the use of my favorite Ralph Waldo Emerson quote.

Pam said...

Ralph Waldo Emerson. Ah. I had no idea! :-)