Friday, March 19, 2010

Love me, love my music

It has come to my attention that there is a large number of folks from my generation--and even from subsequent generations--still living in the 70's and 80's where music is concerned. Not this girl! I just created mix CD's for a couple of new friends of mine in order to introduce them to some more contemporary artists I love. This is the playlist--some of my all-time favorites. All these songs have great personal meaning for me. The bands are great. But, for me, it's mostly about the lyrics.

  1. Unwritten/Natasha Bedingfield
  2. First Day of My Life/Bright Eyes
  3. Uprising/Muse
  4. 21 Things I Want in A Lover/Alanis Morissette
  5. That I Would Be Good/Alanis Morissette
  6. Viva la Vida/Coldplay
  7. Death and All His Friends/Coldplay
  8. Hollow Man/R.E.M.
  9. So Unsexy/Alanis Morissette
  10. Green Eyes/Coldplay
  11. 32 Flavors/Ani DiFranco
  12. Crush/Dave Matthews Band
  13. Two Step/Dave Matthews Band
  14. Life For Rent/Dido
  15. Who Makes You Feel/Dido
  16. This Kiss/Faith Hill
  17. Falling Slowly/Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova
  18. The Middle/Jimmy Eat World
  19. Optimistic/Radiohead
  20. Let Go/Frou Frou
  21. I Like Giants/Kimya Dawson
  22. Girls Like Me/Mary Chapin Carpenter
  23. Undisclosed Desires/Muse
  24. Butterflies & Hurricanes/Muse
  25. Living Well is the Best Revenge/R.E.M.
  26. Fidelity/Regina Spektor
  27. Hurt/Johnny Cash
  28. Head Full Of Doubt/Road Full Of Promise/The Avett Brothers
  29. On And On And On/Wilco
What are some of your favorites?

4 comments:

The Writers Canvas said...

I definitely like "Muse" - just discovered them in the last few years. It really depends on the book I'm writing, or task I'm doing.

I like Dropkick Murphys or Roger Drawdy & The Firestarters for Irish punk/rock; I like some top 40; I like late 1980s country like Reba and Highway 101; I like soundtracks because it can bring together different types of music.

Good question :)
Elaine

Pam said...

Elaine, I can't listen to music with lyrics when I'm writing. The words of the songs distract me from the words in my head. Sometimes I listen to instrumental music, especially solo piano (strange, right?) but mostly I prefer to write in silence.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely check out the Irish punk/rock bands!

Carol Burnside said...

OMG, my favorites are such a mish-mash of yesterday and today. I'd have to say that Daughtry is pretty high up there lately, but I don't have a playlist. I've never gotten an iPod and the CD player is too complicated to operate. Apparently it involves two remotes and a magic potion which I don't have the recipe for, so I listen to various artists via DirectTV's music stations. The nice thing about that is I hear new voices and broaden my horizons. Lady Gaga or Katy Perry anyone?

Pam said...

Carol, I highly recommend getting an iPod. I love mine! And DirecTV's music station's are as good a way to gain exposure to new music as any. I am a Daughtry fan, too, and one of my students introduced me to Lady Gaga; I think she is amazing. I don't know Katy Perry, though; I'll have to check her out.