Wednesday, March 31, 2010

An Open Letter to Jerry

I finally heard from Jerry. He dumped me in an e-mail. Ahem. This was my favorite part.

You are a truly great and inspiring person who I admire and respect deeply. I enjoy your company immensely and I've missed talking with you this past week. I'm really not a bad guy … I’m just a sensitive guy with a broken heart that is not ready to give up the woman I love (no matter how slim the chances). I hope that you can understand.

Well.

Here is my reply.

Dear Jerry,

I don't recall your mentioning this prior relationship. If you did, you certainly left out the part about you still being in love with her. This was critical information, for I was making decisions about how much of myself to reveal to and share with you during the weeks we were together. I held nothing back, and was encouraged by comments like "I think you might be really good for me." You even planned our next date; you were going to take me to Dante's, remember? I looked forward to it for two weeks.

This does explain, though, some of the "weirdness" surrounding our getting acquainted - why so much time went by between dates, why you texted sporadically and called rarely. Silly me: I thought you were just shy. Encouraged by our third date, during which you truly seemed to open up and after which we really stayed connected for a while, I thought the weirdness was past and we were on our way to something potentially great. (Note to self: in the future, flee at the first sign of weirdness.)

I don't know the circumstances surrounding your breakup, but based on what little you shared in your note, it doesn't sound hopeful for the two of you, especially considering the fact that a year has already gone by and you "rarely speak to her and doubt that you can ever have a future together." Only time will tell. In the meantime, you could have had ME. Now you have doubled your losses.

And you chose to share this with me in an E-MAIL? I *KNOW* I deserved better than that. Tacky, tacky.

I understand heartbreak all too well. I want you to know you have added to mine.

Someday, when you read my best seller, you will recognize yourself in one of its characters. And cringe.

Pam

4 comments:

The Writers Canvas said...

YOU GO GIRL!

I have a bumper sticker on my car. It reads: "Careful, or you'll end up in my novel."

The fury in fiction, baby! I added in a former boss in one of my books. I tore down her life one strand at a time, leaving her where no one would come near her. It felt great.

Keep moving forward - it's all a life experience and great for fiction, gal :)

Elaine

Pam said...

Elaine, one of my piano students gave me a t-shirt with that saying on the front. I love it!

Thanks for your encouragement. You are so right - it's all material! :-)

Pam

pat said...

Hmmm...Reminds me of the sound you hear when frying food in a skillet of hot oil.
I certainly wouldn't want to be the next guy who pisses you off. :)
Well said.
Pat

Pam said...

Thank you, Pat! Onomatopoeia!