Monday, April 19, 2010

60-Day Workout Challenge

On Easter Sunday, my brother Eric and my sister-in-law SeDonna joined Nathan, Casey and me for dinner - ham and all the trimmings.
Everything was wonderful; naturally, we all ate too much. Afterwards, miserable as we felt, and to help alleviate our guilt, we made a solemn pact. Inspired by a cousin of Donna's who has worked out for an amazing 120-plus days straight - and has the abs to prove it - Donna, Eric and I challenged each other to a 60-Day Workout Challenge. Starting the very next day.

We set individual goals as to what constituted a workout. For me, it was a minimum of 30 minutes of walking, or an equivalent activity. Today marks Day 15. So far, so good. Most days, I go to the gym and I have spend 60 minutes on the elliptical machine. A couple of times, though, I have had to be creative. Last Sunday, I counted two hours of dancing in the wee hours at Johnny's Hideaway as my workout. Yesterday, I did several hours of walking at the Georgia Renaissance Festival. My intention was to go to the gym, too, after I got home. Instead, I wound up at the emergency room with Nathan, who had sliced his finger on a rock. (The things that boy will do to get out of mowing the yard. By the way, he is fine.)

I think the point of the challenge was to encourage each other to get our bodies moving every single day, no matter what. And there have definitely been times when I would have found a good excuse not to exercise if not for the knowledge that I would be letting Eric and Donna down. So this has been a very good thing.

And now, I'm off to the gym!

4 comments:

Carol Burnside said...

I haven't said it in awhile (maybe, never?) but I truly enjoy reading your blog. I've read about a weeks worth of posts today, just didn't comment on each one.

Good luck with the challenge!

eric said...

Same here ... yesterday Donna and I were talking while we were on our walk, and we agreed that it was good we were in this challenge. Because it would have been really easy for us to say "Oh, we worked out so hard yesterday on our hike, we deserve a day off". But then 1 day easily turns into a couple of days, and then 3, and then ... well, I think you get the idea.

I don't know about you but I can definitely tell a difference in the way I feel overall now that I'm making a point to exercise every day!

Pam said...

You are absolutely right, Eric! For me, the challenge has always been that there is a decision to make every day. To exercise or not to exericse, that is the question! Then, despite my good intentions,there are a million and one things that routinely prevent it from happening; the next thing I know, the day is gone, and I never got around to working out. Now, the decision has already been made. I WILL exercise every day, so it's best just to jump in and get it over with. And daily exercise is definitely making a difference in the way I feel overall. I am proud of ALL of us!

Pam said...

Carol, I am so glad to know you are out there, reading my blog. I know you are a busy lady; thanks for finding a few minutes to hang out here today!