Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Break Into Fiction Power Workshop

"A writer is someone for whom writing is more difficult than it is for other people."
~ Thomas Mann

* * *

Saturday I attended a workshop created especially for George Romance Writers by Mary Buckham and Dianna Love, authors of a wonderful book on novel writing called Break Into Fiction. Prior to class, we were to prepare the following from our manuscripts:

1. 10 pages to analyze for hooks.
2. A copy of the opening to analyze for power.
3. Any scene to analyze for strength.
4. One passage of setting to analyze for action.

Over the course of the day, I learned a lot. As a matter of fact, I was downright slapped in the face with the fact that I have tons of work left to do on my novel. And that's AFTER I finish getting the story on paper.

It was a tough coming to the realization that I am basically going to have to rewrite my entire manuscript. But I will do whatever it takes to end up with the best book I am capable of. Because that's the whole point of writing it in the first place.

In the short run, I am renewing my commitment to writing 1000 words a day. I need to finish telling my story as soon as possible. So that I can go back to the beginning and make it great.

No comments: