Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Fifty-One Favorites

Similar to a gratitude list, this is a list of fifty-one of my favorite things in the whole wide world. They are in no particular order. Some of the best are free, and most of the rest cost no more than a few dollars. But they all make me very happy, and even the simplest satisfy on a very deep level.

1. My family and cherished friends

2. A glass of pinot noir

3. Mexican food

4. Tiramisu

5. Scented body lotion

6. Homemade soap

7. Anything on a cruise ship

8. Lying on the beach, soaking up the sun, listening to the ocean

9. Scented candles

10. Cinnamon

11. Chocolate

12. Hot pink

13. A cat purring in my lap

14. A bowl of popcorn and a good movie (with a happy ending)

15. Cuddling in front of a fire

16. Holding hands

17. Jasmine green tea, lightly sweetened (hot or iced)

18. Taking a class and learning something new

19. Glitter

20. My iPhone

21. Sundresses

22. Flip flops

23. Fresh cut flowers

24. Amicalola Falls

25. Dancing

26. Homemade whole wheat bread

27. Toll House Cookies

28. Christmas

29. Sterling silver rings sold by street vendors

30. Cowboy boots

31. Day trips in the car

32. Breakfast out

33. A picnic and a concert at Chastain

34. The Atlanta Symphony Orchestra

35. A beginner playing “Jingle Bells” on the piano for the first time

36. The Nutcracker ballet

37. A spa pedicure

38. The woods in autumn

39. Fresh strawberries

40. Handmade quilts

41. The first snowflakes of winter

42. A well-tuned acoustic piano

43. Four-leaf clovers

44. TiVo

45. A perfect song

46. A great pair of earrings

47. Hot wings, celery, blue cheese and beer

48. Starbucks soy chai latte

49. A thought-provoking novel (with a happy ending)

50. Finding just the right word/turn of phrase when I am writing

51. Hearing someone special say “I love you” and knowing they really mean it

What would you put on YOUR list?

5 comments:

Carley said...

I loved a lot of the things on your list, too. I'm sure your list could have gone on as there are so many things in the world that are free that we sometimes fail to appreciate them enough to include them in a list. Your blog was very thought provoking which is one of the reasons your blogs are so interesting to read. Guess that's the writer's gift poking out it's head :-) I love you & you would definitely be on my list if I made one.

eric said...

I'm pretty sure I would put my wonderful sister in there somewhere ... maybe even in the top 10! ;)

Natalie said...

Ditto! except for #12....make that peacock blue :)

Pamela Mason said...

I won't try for 51 here, but a few I'd add:
*the first crocus and daffodils in spring
*dressed up kids, old & young, at Halloween
*dawn, when the moon is still in the sky across from the sun
*fresh fallen snow before it's been walked on
*summer thunder & flash lightning
*my guys
*shiraz
*Krispy Kreme donuts, hot!

Pam said...

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions! It occurs to me that if I were to write my list today, it would probably be slightly different from the one I wrote yesterday. The world is full of so many wonderful things to enjoy. And that is the point for me right now: to really notice and appreciate all those little things, drawing my focus where it should be - on gratitude - pulling it away from concern about things I cannot control.