Friday, July 2, 2010

Best Laid Schemes

It's been one thing after another around here. I'm still not well, and Nathan has been sick all week, too. Casey spent Sunday night in the Newark airport, was delayed again in Charlotte on Monday evening, and Nathan and I were so close to being in an auto accident Monday morning that I still tremble when I think about it. But I'm not complaining.

Indeed, I am feeling very thankful right about now. Because Nathan and I are arguably on the mend, and we WEREN'T in an accident, and Casey eventually made it home safely. Also, because a longtime friend/piano student offered to prepay for her and her daughters' piano lessons for the months of August through December, meaning I will have the cash to pay my bills in the month of July, despite my jury summons.

Yes, things are looking up.

* * *

After reading my Amazing Life List, a longtime friend of mine suggested we start a Jane Austen Book Club in response to Item #30. Two other friends eagerly jumped on board, and we were on our way. We kicked things off June 11th at Jennifer's house with Mexican food and a viewing of the movie The Jane Austen Book Club.


Our first official meeting was this morning at Denise's house. We discussed Pride & Prejudice, which I finished reading about 10:30 last night. I LOVED IT. Having never even seen a film version of the story, it took me a few chapters to get all the names straight and to immerse myself into the language, but once I got started, I had a hard time putting the book down. I was especially surprised at how FUNNY it was.

"What are men to rocks and mountains?"

I think that's a brilliant question.

My friends are intelligent, witty, and insightful; our conversation was entertaining and thought-provoking. As a matter of fact, we enjoyed ourselves so much that we made the spontaneous decision to resume our meeting this evening with quiche, a salad, and a marathon viewing of the BBC version of the novel. Our next book is Sense & Sensibility; I plan to start reading it tomorrow.

And now I must take my brownies out of the oven and head back over to Jennifer's.

I am having SO much fun.

2 comments:

Julee Johnson-Tate said...

Sounds awesome! I'm meeting with a couple of other friends for our Friday night "girls' night" in just a bit and we've been swapping books too. I love Austen's characters and sharp observations and hope you all continue to enjoy all of her too few works. Another movie recommendation is "Becoming Jane" which was beautifully done. Enjoy! j

Pam said...

Hope you and your friends had as much fun tonight as we did, Julee! :-)