Monday, September 20, 2010

The Wishing Box

Besides being the name of my Etsy store, The Wishing Box is the working title of my first novel.

For a little background on my evolution as a writer, click HERE. When I wrote that blog post, my goal was to complete the first draft of my manuscript by the end of April and have the revision ready to submit for publication by fall. I didn't quite make my deadline, but I typed the words The End sometime in August (which also starts with the letter "A," right?) and I am determined to have the revision ready to pitch to an agent at Georgia Romance Writer's Moonlight & Magnolias conference in October (click HERE to read about my first experience there in 2009.)

Life sure has a way of getting in the way of writing. There was that bout with bronchitis in June/July, all the relationship angst, and then my piano students came back. Also, with decreased student enrollment this year - many of my colleagues are feeling the effects of this challenged economy, too- I am finding it necessary to look for ways to increase my income. I have been selling books on eBay and making jewelry and listing it on Etsy. I am especially optimistic about my Etsy site, as beading is a wonderful creative outlet for me. I am even blogging about it; click HERE if you would like to follow my progress.

But I HAVE to write. It's my passion, my desire, my dream. Somehow - despite physical setbacks and emotional upheavals and financial challenges - I must find a way to weave writing into the fabric of my days.

"Becoming a writer means being creative enough to find the time and the place in your life for writing." ~ Heather Sellers

Yesterday I attended the monthly meeting Georgia Romance Writers in Decatur. I had a lovely breakfast - including two slices of bacon, pescetarianism be damned. I caught up with some old friends - who are struggling with similar challenges, both personal and writing related. I made some new friends - who inspired me and encouraged me despite having just me. And I heard a wonderful speaker - author Karen White, whose work I have never read but cannot wait to dig into. Her message, titled The Good, the Bad and the Unpublishable: the Nuts and Bolts of a Writing Career (or, Writing Isn't for Sissies) highlighted the careers of multi-published and award winning authors (including her own). She shared stories of the good and the bad in the publishing industry, the rises and falls on the divergent roads to success, the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat. Mostly, she encouraged us to stay grounded and keep writing.

It was a message we all needed to hear.

So now it's full steam ahead. I have an agent pitch appointment at the M & M Conference and I intend to make the most of it; then I hope to achieve PRO status in GRW before the end of the year. I am looking forward to participating in NaNoWriMo again in November, and then getting started on one of the many projects I have swirling around in my head.

Check back later this week for a sample of my fiction writing. It's about time, right?

4 comments:

Kathy said...

YES! It is about time!! I can't wait to read a sample of your fiction!

Pam said...

Thanks, Kathy! Now the pressure is really on! ;-)

The Writers Canvas said...

Great post, Pam! That's great you have various creative outlets like beading and can sell some things too! More instant gratification than the writing on route to be published.

Best of luck w/your pitch appt in Oct - you can do it!

And Karen White's books are wonderful. Color of Light is still my fave b/c it was the first one I read; she's marvelous at setting...you can smell the South Carolina air as you read her pages.

Elaine

Pam said...

Thank you, Elaine! Setting is something I need to work on; because I tend to live inside my own head, oblivious to the details of the world around me, so do my characters. Since you recommended it, I will start with "Color of Light." My stack of books to-read grows ever larger...