Tuesday, October 5, 2010

2010 M&M Conference

No, I'm not talking about candy coated chocolate; I'm talking about the Georgia Romance Writers' annual Moonlight and Magnolias Conference, held in Decatur, Georgia October 1-3. This year's theme was "Master Your Story, Master Your Destiny," and did I ever!

I spent three days immersed in the world of writing: attending workshops and seminars with wonderful speakers like New York Times best-selling author Allison Brennan, Hollywood screenwriter Michael Hauge, and psychologist and author Kelly L. Stone; sitting in on panels with agents and editors; and spending time with friends, old and new, who are just as committed to honing their craft and seeing their work published as I am. I even got to see some of them receive recognition for their writing - and their service to GRW - at the Maggie Awards Banquet on Saturday night. It was positively thrilling.

And I had the opportunity to pitch my novel - TWICE - to an agent on Friday and to an editor on Saturday. This was terrifying; whereas it is easy for me to stand up in front of a roomful of people and speak, I was extremely anxious about seven minutes alone with each of these professionals. To my relief, they were kind and helpful, and they both asked me to send them the first three chapters of my manuscript. Now I have just a few days to revise my work, based on their suggestions, and submit it to them. What an opportunity!

Informative, educational, inspiring, encouraging, uplifting - those are the words that come to mind when I reflect on my experience at the M&M Conference. I am already looking forward to next year!


2 comments:

The Writers Canvas said...

Glad you had a great time and survived your first round of pitching! It gets easier with time, and looks like you did really well, especially with the editor who didn't request much from many people. YAY Pam!

Elaine

Pam said...

Thanks, Elaine! It helped having some "insider information" as to what the editor was looking for - thanks! - as well as knowing you were out there rooting for me. Writers are cool that way - at least the ones I know from GRW! :-)