Friday, October 8, 2010

Spicy Pumpkin Muffins


Fall is in the air, and there is nothing like a crisp October morning to put me in the mood to bake. Today I dug out one of my favorite seasonal recipes, Spicy Pumpkin Muffins.

SPICY PUMPKIN MUFFINS

1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
6 tablespoons sugar (I used turbinado sugar, but plain white sugar is fine)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 cup pumpkin puree (I used canned pumpkin)
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 cup golden raisins (or chopped nuts, or a combination)

Heat oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl combine dry ingredients and blend well. In separate bowl beat egg with milk, pumpkin and butter until smooth. Stir pumpkin mixture into dry ingredients and blend until moistened. Stir in raisins. Spoon into 12 muffin cups prepared with nonstick cooking spray and bake 15 minutes until lightly browned.

These are great hot from the oven, spread with butter and orange marmalade. I usually double the recipe and freeze half. Let me know if you try them!

2 comments:

Natalie said...

They're in the oven now!

Pam said...

Awesome! I think it's time for me to make another batch, too!