Monday, November 15, 2010

Halfway there!!

On October 31st, anything seemed possible. Making the commitment to write 50,000 words during the 30 days of November? Perfectly logical. Entirely reasonable.

My brother, Eric and me at the NaNoLanta kick off party in Smyrna, wearing official NaNoWriMo garb, bursting with optimism and enthusiasm.

However, due to illness and travel commitments, I got off to a VERY slow start. During the entire first week of NaNoWriMo, I managed to crank out only 2536 words--just slightly more than the 1667 words necessary on average EVERY DAY during the month in order to reach the goal of 50,000.

This beautiful latte, from Dancing Goats in Decatur, helped.

Another week went by. I was pulled in many different directions, as I worked to teach my piano students, add inventory to my Etsy store, and keep the home fires burning. I wrote a little, but not enough. As of Saturday morning, I had completed only about 6000 words--only about three and a half days' worth.

My creative and inspirational critique partners, Lindy and Pamela, helped.

I decided to go for a 10K word marathon over the weekend. But once again, my energy was divided. I had a wonderful long phone conversation with my parents; I reconnected with a friend from forty years ago; I took Nathan to the mall; I went to a movie with Casey; I tried a new recipe for dinner. I know, I know; it almost sounds like I was procrastinating. Honestly, I wasn't; all these things were necessary, and it was a wonderful day. But by the end of it, I had written only a few hundred words. I was beginning to wonder whether or not I should simply give up.

But I woke up yesterday morning with absolutely nothing on my to-do list and lots of energy, so I determined to write 8000 words. I did end up having to run a couple of errands, but for the most part I remained BICHOK*. And by midnight, I had added 8025 words to my novel, for a grand total of 14,666.

Brownies and red wine helped.

I did the math; if I can manage 2200 words a day for the rest of the month--which sounds like nothing after 8000--I will be able to call myself a NaNoWriMo 2010 Winner. As far as I am concerned, losing is not an option; this morning's total was 2215. And I am certain that the discipline I am learning through this process will serve me well as I work to meet future writing goals down the road.

Wish me luck!

*Butt in chair, hands on keyboard.

10 comments:

~Crazy 4 Daizies~ said...

~Way to go Pam! I couldn't imagine writing that much. I've fallen short on my blog writing--not sure why? Maybe I should try the brownies and red wine. I'm sure it could get the creative juices flowing....LOL.

Sending love, hugs, & Nimkee-Blessings for a successful mission for you! I'd love to read your book when it's completed.

Hugs,
Melissa xxoo

Pam said...

Hey Melissa,
It's hard when there are so many balls in the air; if I'm doing one thing, I'm neglecting something else. It's a constant balancing act. But brownies and red wine definitely help! I can't wait to finish my novel and get it out there. :-)
Pam

Lindy said...

You, my sweet friend, are an inspiration. Keep up the good work.

Pam said...

Right back atcha, Lindy! I will do my best! :-)

Tammy H said...

You are doing great, Pam!!!!!!

This is a good thing, seriously. Life will always find a way to get in the way of our writing. The trick is to find your way back again and again and again.

Keep up the great work, girl! I'm rooting for you.

Tami

Tami Brothers said...

You are doing great, Pam!!!!!!

This is a good thing, seriously. Life will always find a way to get in the way of our writing. The trick is to find your way back again and again and again.

Keep up the great work, girl! I'm rooting for you.

Tami

Pam said...

Thanks, Tami. I think you are right. I get off the trail; days, sometimes weeks, go by, and I am not very productive. But eventually I get back on the right track. Life would be easier if I didn't have this compulsion. But it's almost as if I don't have a choice. I'm sure you know what I mean!

Carol Burnside said...

It's great traiing for that day when you're on deadline and have to push the words out, no matter what. You go, girl!

I had edits to finish up this month for a requested full, so I didn't even try for NaNoWriMo this year.

Good luck!

Pam said...

Carol, I finally crossed the halfway point with my word count, too! With ten days and approximately 24,000 words to go, I think I'm in pretty good shape! Thanks for your encouragement!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, may all your wishes come true!