Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Cheese Grits


As a writer, I understand the value of being a part of a critique group. Although it took me several months to find them, now I see my critique partners every Friday morning. We haven't been together long; we are still getting to know each other and figuring out our "process."

But a couple of weeks ago, a crisis arose in our midst. We understood that this would prevent any actual critiquing from being accomplished during that Friday's session, but we felt it imperative that we meet, anyway. The substance of the crisis is not my story to share; all I can tell you is this emergency called for some serious comfort food. A spinach quiche was the star of the menu, and I was instructed to bring cheese grits to serve alongside.

I had never made cheese grits before, but I believed I could, even though my writer friends are southern belles and I am a damned Yankee. (I stayed.) I searched high and low, finally found a recipe that sounded like it might be good enough, and followed the directions to the letter. To my relief, everyone who tasted my dish loved it and wanted the recipe for their own. So I am going to share with you now, although it turns out all that was really expected was grits with a little butter and cheese grated in. Live and learn. These would taste great on Christmas morning.

***

CHEESE GRITS

1 cup uncooked grits
4 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup butter
1 cup milk
4 eggs, beaten
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated

Bring salt and water to a boil; stir in grits and cook according to package directions. Remove from heat. Add butter, milk, garlic powder, and 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, mixing well. Let cool so that eggs will not cook when added; add eggs and pour into a buttered casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees for one hour. During the last few minutes of baking, sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese on top of the casserole.

***

For dessert, we had bourbon brownies. They were beyond delicious, but the baker refused to share her secret recipe, so I have been experimenting with my own. Look for the results in a future post.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, no.

Carol Burnside said...

Totally stealing this recipe. Oh, wait. Guess it's not stealing if you're giving it away. LOL! Thanks, Pam.

Pam said...

Steal away! Just this morning, my mother accused me of being clever; I told her I was merely a good thief. :-) I know you will love this recipe!

Sandy Elzie said...

Pam,
I'm southern, and love grits, but never had cheese grits until I moved to Georgia. I was 56 years old, but this ole dog wasn't too old to learn a new trick.

The recipe sounds great and I'll be trying it.

Thanks,

Sandy

Pam said...

Let me know what you think, Sandy. My boys hate grits but they love this recipe.