Monday, December 27, 2010

Holiday Reflections

Despite my apprehension, I had a wonderful Christmas.

It took me the better part of last week, but I got a tree and some decorations up, put cards and packages in the mail, and accomplished what shopping, wrapping and baking I needed to do. On December 24th, the boys and loaded up the car and headed to Mt. Carmel, Illinois to spend the holiday weekend with my parents and my brother, Eric and his wife.

This is what our Christmas looked like.

We opened gifts on Christmas Eve night.

Traditionally, I am the designated Santa.

Nathan and Casey loved their new Slankets.

Nathan gave Casey a vuvuzela.

I was rendered speechless by my new Kindle, a totally unexpected and extremely generous gift from my baby brother.

On Christmas morning, we met at my parents' house and caravanned to the local VFW hall for a turkey dinner.

The fam.

Casey grooved on the pecan pie and cranberry sauce.

We even had snow - which was stressful for me as I drove those last few miles on icy roads in Indiana and Illinois on Christmas Eve - but once we were safe and settled, I couldn't deny the magic.

My parents' house on Christmas morning.

We spent Christmas Day eating too many goodies, playing Uno and Aggravation, and generally enjoying being together. The time went by too fast, as it always does. I am truly thankful for my loving, supportive family, and for all the memories we share.

***

"There comes a time in everyone's life when all you can see are the years passing by
And I have made up my mind that those days are gone."
~Rascal Flatts, I'm Movin' On

I love the week between Christmas and the new year. All the hustle and bustle is behind me; I have no schedule and no deadlines. I can simply kick back, play with my new toys, and plan for a fresh start on January 1st.

Believe me, I am thinking long and hard about that. Last year, instead of making resolutions, I came up with a list of daily, weekly and monthly goals that were meant to help me achieve a list of general goals. I did a reasonably good job of keeping up with those lists throughout the year, yet I feel frustrated by my lack of accomplishment. In my defense, the stalled economy didn't help with my financial goals, and I *DID* pitch my novel at the M&M Conference Still, I am going to look at my daily routine, and see if there is anything I can do to pump it up; also, I am going to revisit my general goals, and try to make them more specific. Finally, I want to chart my progress on my Amazing Life List, and determine whether or not it needs updating, as well.

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and are finding time for rest and reflection this week, as well. What was your favorite present? What are your resolutions for 2011?

6 comments:

Eric Asberry said...

I'm very thankful we were all able to be together. It was a lot of fun! :)

Pam said...

Amen, Brother!! :-)

Carley said...

I've learned to savor the special moments as one doesn't know what tomorrow brings. I have no New Year resolutions except for continuing to love God & my family & hopefully to live each day by the golden rule.

Pam said...

That sounds like a plan, Mom. I love you!

Julee said...

ACK ACK ACK!!!! I was in Mt. C for Christmas too! My brother and I visited Aunt Shirley and Uncle Jim Graetz out on Lambert Drive!!! So sorry to miss you--let me know next time you're in the area and I will let you know next time we head down south. Glad you had a great holiday!

Pam said...

Julee, we were in town such a short time we didn't get to visit anybody. Next time, though, we are going to play a longer stay. We MUST get together soon!