Thursday, December 16, 2010

Reverb10

I just found out about an online initiative for the month of December called Reverb 10, in which simple writing prompts allow participants to reflect on the year that is passing and manifest the year ahead. Click HERE to find out the details.

Since I am late joining in, I plan to journal my responses, two per day, so that I will have completed all the prompts by year's end, but I will post some of them here.

Today's Question:

How has a friend changed you or your perspective on the world this year? Was this change gradual, or a sudden burst?

MANY friends have changed my perspective on the world in 2010; this has been a gradual change, a culmination of many events and occasions. I have been single much of this year, giving me the freedom to accept the gift of female friendship, which was frequently and richly offered. I luxuriated in time spent with my Jane Austen Book Club cohorts, my GRW sisters and my newfound critique partners, my sweet sister-in-law, and a dear friend from the past. I also learned that true friendship does not depend on physical proximity; I value the love and support of my Facebook friends and a childhood neighbor, even though it has been many years since I have seen some of these people.

There have been a couple of occasions in which someone I thought was a friend for life has let me down in a big way. But the joys have far outweighed the sorrows, so I will continue to risk having my heart broken. Maybe it is my destiny to live the rest of my days as a single woman. But single and lonely do not have to be synonymous.

No comments: