Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Accentuate the Positive

As I have alluded to on my last few posts, my life has been somewhat frenetic the past several days; consequently, I have been tempted to complain. But then I read this essay entitled Why You're Privileged by the always provocative Justine Musk (click HERE) and thought better of it.

Instead, I will share a few tidbits of good news.
  • I finished my projects for GCMTA; I did them well, and it felt good carrying those completed packets into our January brunch meeting this morning, sharing a meal and catching up with my colleagues. I am thankful to be a part of an organization that does so much to provide meaningful educational opportunities for music students as well as support and encouragement for teachers.
  • Two of my fellow PFHT bloggers received "The Call" today and are on the verge of being published authors. Congratulations to Debbie Kaufman and Marilyn Baron!
  • I am within two weeks of finishing the first draft of my own novel, which has taken on a life of its own. This is both exhausting and exhilarating but I am enjoying the ride, and looking forward to typing The End - and beginning the process of revision.
  • After a month of inactivity on my Etsy site, I made two sales this week - meaning I can buy more supplies and make more cool stuff.
  • I finally found medical insurance I can actually afford. As a self-employed individual, I have paid an exorbitant sum for care coverage; over time, my premiums had risen to the point that my health insurance premium, at $897/month, cost almost as much as my mortgage - and that's a lot of piano lessons. Finally, I located and was accepted into a reasonably priced, albeit high deductible plan, despite "pre-existing conditions" (all resolved issues). Saving money is almost better than earning it, because you don't have to lift a finger to save. My new benefits will go into effect February 1st. What a relief!
  • For the most part, my students are right where they should be in terms of preparation for their upcoming piano festival, and I have booked performances at three local assisted living centers for the following so they will be able to share their beautiful musical selections with the community. I am so proud of these hard-working, talented children, and so privileged to be their teacher!
###

Last weekend, I finally saw the movie version of Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. Negative reviews notwithstanding, I thoroughly enjoyed it, although it lacked the depth and poignancy of the book by the same name. I spent a few minutes prowling around looking for writing wisdom from Ms. Elizabeth, I found this.


Afterwards, click HERE for a link to her TED talk - and if you are a creative individual and have not seen it, it is well worth the time. I promise.

No comments: