Sunday, January 30, 2011

Music, Mozart & Melody

Technically, it's Sunday, so I missed posting on Saturday, meaning I have failed in my (unspoken) New Year's Resolution to write in my blog every day for an entire month. So close, and yet so far!

But I have a good excuse; I just got home from taking Josh and his girlfriend, Michelle, to Symphony Hall at Woodruff Arts Center to hear the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra. Tonight, under the direction of Donald Runnicles and featuring Robert Spano as soloist, they performed my favorite Mozart piano concerto: No. 20 in D minor, K. 466. It was sublime.

I found several recordings of the first part of the first movement on You Tube, and selected the one below for your viewing pleasure. You might recognize the opening bars from the movie Amadeus. If you enjoy this excerpt, I encourage you to listen to the entire concerto. There are many reasons to love Mozart, not the least of which is that his music is filled with gorgeous melodies that stay in your head forever; this piece has numerous examples. And while it starts out dark and somber, it has a happily-ever-after ending - like the best kind of storybook. Maybe that's why it resonates with me so deeply.

2 comments:

Joseph Akins said...

That is freakin' awesome. Love it!

Pam said...

Thanks, Joseph! It's on my bucket list to play this concerto with an orchestra someday - even if it's just a recording of the orchestral part!