Thursday, January 20, 2011

Chicken Salad Croissants, Karen White, and Me

I had lunch with famous people today.

That's right; I attended Gwinnett County Public Library's Lunch & Listen event featuring New York Times bestselling authors (l-r) Mary Jane Clark, Karen White and Lynn Cullen. A delicious meal, provided by Garden Plaza at Lawrenceville, was followed by a brief presentation from each of the three well-known writers and a question and answer session.

My dining companions were delightful; they were thrilled to learn that I am an aspiring novelist, and went to great lengths to encourage me. One said I "look like a writer"; another, certain that I will become famous, asked for my autograph and said she will be looking for my debut release. With that kind of support from total strangers, I am more determined than ever to succeed.

Georgia resident Karen White has been a speaker at local GRW meetings, so I was already familiar with her work - and if you haven't read any Karen White, you must - but I enjoyed hearing all three women discuss their winding roads to success and describe their most recent publications. All their books sound wonderful; my to-read pile grows larger by the day. The question and answer session was likewise interesting; the authors shared their views on a wide range of topics, including how e-publishing might affect the future of the written word.

Eagle Eye Book Shop was on hand with books for sale, and an autograph session concluded the event. I was thrilled to get my copy of The Color of Light signed by the author, and my picture taken with her. Unfortunately, I have a propensity for closing my eyes when I hear the click of the camera shutter, so I look like a drunken sailor in this snapshot.

Karen White looks beautiful, as always.

These women are wonderful role models; I came home rejuvenated and inspired to work even harder to make my dream become reality. Thanks to Gwinnett County Public Library, Garden Plaza of Lawrenceville, and the three wonderful writers who gave so generously of their time and talent this afternoon.

###

Don't forget, my debut blog post runs tomorrow, January 21st, on the Petit Fours and Hot Tamales website. Please stop by and comment at the conclusion of my post to qualify for a chance to win a $10 Amazon gift certificate. You will make my day!

2 comments:

Bryonna Nobles said...

You sound like you had a really fun luncheon. I need to start paying attention when such events are about to happen. lol

As for the picture and your eyes, you still look great, no worries but here's a trick I learned. Tell the person whose taking the picture to count down from three and at one, that's when they'll take the picture. You keep your eyes closed until the photographer says "One" (or "Three" whichever way they go) and than you open them right as the picture is being taken.

The result: Your eyes will look nice, bright, and big in the photo. :D

Pam said...

That's a GREAT trick, Bryonna. Now I know why you always look beautiful in all your pictures! Thank you so much! :-)