Friday, January 28, 2011

Pam the Dreamer Gingerbread


I told Nathan I would make gingerbread for breakfast this morning. Unfortunately, I failed to set my alarm before I crashed last night, so I woke up about the time he headed out the door for school and, of course, I didn't bake an entire pan of gingerbread just for myself. I thought I was off the hook. But when my son got home this afternoon, he asked me two questions. How was my day? And did I ever make that gingerbread?

I headed straight for the kitchen.

Great for breakfast, an afternoon stack, or just about anytime, here is the recipe, an adaptation of Betty the Peacenik Gingerbread from my well-worn copy of Frances Moore Lappe's Diet for a Small Planet.

Pam the Dreamer Gingerbread

1/2 cup oil or melted butter
1/2 cup applesauce
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup molasses
1 cup hot water
2 eggs
3 cups whole wheat flour (I use fresh-milled red wheat)
1 teaspoon each baking powder and baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons each ginger and cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine oil, applesauce, sugar, molasses, and hot water in a large bowl, stirring until well mixed. Add the egg and stir again. Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl; pour into wet ingredients and beat with wire whisk until smooth. Pour into a prepared 13X9-inch pan and bake for 35 minutes. Serve with applesauce and cinnamon sugar.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This made me smile. I love that he asked you how your day was. He could have just asked about the gingerbread :)

Pam said...

I know what you mean. And a few minutes went by between the two questions. The first wasn't just a formality. I love that boy of mine! :-)