Monday, January 10, 2011

Snow Day

With six inches of snow on the ground - and a thick layer of ice on top of that - metro Atlanta is effectively shut down. My boys' schools were closed and I cancelled piano lessons. I couldn't get my car up our steep driveway if our lives depended on it.

I really don't mind being housebound. I enjoy cooking, although with my busy schedule I usually don't have a lot of time for it, so I spent a big chunk of the day in the kitchen. I made pancakes and bacon and scrambled eggs for breakfast, cranked up the oven and baked chocolate chip cookies for snacks, and made crock pot barbecue beef, cheesy potato casserole, and cabbage slaw for dinner. In between meals and this evening, I worked on my novel, strung a necklace and made a pair of earrings to match, and played with the leather cord and beads I got on Saturday.

The boys hung out in the living room, watching television and playing video games and cutting up. Anything is better than school, right? They enjoyed the good food and made for pleasant company. I love it when they are home.

At first, my dog seemed confused by the powdery white stuff. But it didn't take long for him to decide he didn't like it at all. Maybe it was the fact that the snow came almost all the way up to his chest, making walking quite difficult.

Poor Karma.

Temperatures are expected to remain below freezing until Friday afternoon, and there isn't much in the way of snow removal done around here, so we might be stuck at home for a while. We already know that tomorrow is going to be a repeat of today. And that's all right by me.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

I rarely leave a comment, but I love reading what you write. : )

Pam said...

Thanks, Stacey! You just made my day! :-)