Friday, January 14, 2011

Vegetarian Hoppin' John

I did it! About three o'clock this afternoon I mustered the courage to venture outside of my four walls. There is still plenty of ice on the roads, especially in subdivisions and parking lots, but I managed to get where I needed to go: the bank, the bead shop, Borders, the grocery store. In that order.

A party atmosphere reigned. Everyone was obviously so gosh darned happy to be out in the world again. Apparently, folks were planning to continue the festivities after they got home, too, because every single person I saw checking out at Kroger had beer and/or wine in their shopping carts.

Go figure.

I was just glad to make it home safe, to get back into my jammies and resume my unexpected vacation. I was also thankful there was some leftover Hoppin' John for dinner. Traditional Hoppin' John is made using ham, but I think my vegetarian version is delicious, and it's a whole lot better for you. This is how I make it.

First, cook your beans. Sort and rinse two cups of black-eyed peas and soak them overnight. Drain and pour them into a pot, covering with plenty of water so they don't cook down; add 1/2 tablespoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, 1 tablespoon black pepper, 1 tablespoon sugar, and 2 tablespoons oil. Cook for about three hours, or until tende; drain.

About thirty minutes before the beans are done, make your rice. Combine 1 cup rice, 2 cups vegetable broth, and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes, or until all broth is absorbed.

While the rice is cooking, saute 1 small onion in 2 tablespoons butter until tender.

Finally, combine beans, rice and onion in a large bowl and stir. Serve with your favorite brand of hot sauce on the side.

As you can see in the picture, I had coleslaw with mine. This was store-bought shredded coleslaw mix, topped with homemade dressing concocted from mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Delicious!

It is supposed to freeze again overnight, then warm up again tomorrow afternoon; I expect most of the white stuff will be gone by Sunday. I can't say I will miss it, but I am glad I experienced it. This has been quite an adventure. We will all be talking about the winter of 2011 for a long time to come.

8 comments:

Raining Roses said...

Love the recipe!

Pam said...

Try it! You'll like it! :-)

SAIDFRAZ said...

I've always wondered what hoppin' john was and now I know. I've been eating it all along, just didn't know it's name! Yum!

Pam said...

Yup. It's good stuff. Cheap and delicious. And healthy, too!

Anonymous said...

I love your posts Pam!!! Wish I was as creative writing as you are. God has blessed you with so many talents. Thanks for the recipe too, gonna have Tom fix that sometime. He is the cook in the house and I am the dishwasher...lol...I can cook, its just he is a better cook.

Carol Hering

Nicki Salcedo said...

Interesting. Sometimes I think I'm Southern, then I hear Hoppin' John and have to go goggle it. I've never heard of it in my life! Sound yummy though.

Pam said...

Hi Carol! Thank you for your kind words. I love writing; the more I write, the more I want to write! Let me know if you try the Hoppin' John. And if you decide to add a ham bone to the beans when you cook them, I won't tell anybody! ;-)

Pam said...

Nicki, I first made Hoppin' John for New Year's Day dinner many years ago, after searching through all my cookbooks for something to do with that bag of black-eyed peas I bought for good luck. It's been a family favorite ever since. Try it, you'll like it!