Sunday, January 16, 2011

Visualization

I tried something new this morning. I woke up early, but instead of going back to sleep as I might have - after all, it is Sunday - or jumping out of bed, starting the coffee, and grudgingly getting to work on my to-do list - as I usually do - I closed my eyes and pictured myself going through the activities of the day. It was like watching a movie, and I was the star.

I saw myself sitting in bed, writing my morning pages and sipping coffee. I felt my leg muscles burning when I first started running on the elliptical machine at the gym after several days away, getting into a comfortable rhythm as I listened to a new audiobook, skipping to the car when my workout was finished. I imagined the satisfaction I would feel after completing the rehearsal schedules and paperwork for an upcoming GCMTA event I am in charge of. I pictured the smile on Casey's face when I handed him his new scarf, after knitting the last few rows. I felt the warmth of Nathan's hug when I picked him up from his weekend with his dad. I experienced the relaxation of watching television with him in the evening, after the day's chores were finished.

It has been a busy, complicated day, filled with work and errands, stress and complications - not the restful Sunday it might have been, if I hadn't been such a slug during the snowcalypse. I can't explain why, but I wasn't my usual, energetic self. All I wanted to do was eat and sleep. I felt like a big old fat bear in hibernation. Oh, I fought against my nature and forced myself to be somewhat productive, but mostly I just went with the flow. Today I had to make up for lost time.

But somehow, thinking through the situations I knew I would be facing - and anticipating the good feelings that would follow jobs well done - made it easier for me when I hit the inevitable roadblocks. Interestingly, although there were other items on my agenda today, the only ones that actually got accomplished were the ones I visualized before I got out of bed this morning.

So tonight before I go to sleep, I'm going to write my list for tomorrow. And when my alarm goes off in the morning, I'm going to take a few minutes to imagine myself working through that list. I think it will be a great way to jump-start another new day.

No comments: