Friday, January 7, 2011

Writing Goals for 2011

My fellow PFHT blogger, author Christine Glover, has been a big inspiration to me this week. Guided by Cheryl Richardson's book Life Makeovers (my copy is on its way), she has created detailed lists to help her maintain focus as she pursues her personal and professional goals. In her post today, Christine recognized the necessity of having two separate lists - one for her writing life, and one for her personal and professional life.

Which made me realize I need FOUR lists, as I am a professional writer, piano teacher, and jewelry designer, as well as a single parent.

Gulp.

I wear many different hats. On my birthday, I was forced to wear a sombrero.

Often, I feel spread awfully thin, but it seems to me that at this point in my life none of these activities are optional.
  • The piano has been a passion my entire life and piano teaching is my bread and butter.
  • Writing has become an obsession and being a published author is my dream.
  • I have a primal need to make things with my hands and my jewelry design business is generating a small supplementary income that I desperately need right now; also, there is a beading tie-in to my novel.
  • Finally, I have children who depend on me and social needs of my own.
It's a lot to fit into a 24-hour day. But you know what the proverb says:

HE WHO FAILS TO PLAN, PLANS TO FAIL.

So I have been working hard on my four lists. These really aren't New Year's Resolutions. They fully support the six questions I am asking myself every morning, and are in alignment with my big word for the year, focus. As for the other two words, I will work in a spirit of abundance, and be sure to make time to rest.

Here are my writing goals for 2011. Feel free to borrow them and use them as a springboard for your own list.

WRITING GOALS FOR 2011

  1. Maintain personal and professional blogs.
  2. Meet with critique partners weekly.
  3. Finish first draft of The Wishing Box.
  4. Revise The Wishing Box.
  5. Write a short story and submit it to Woman's World magazine.
  6. Revisit 2009 NaNoWriMo project; decide whether or not it is worth finishing.
  7. If so, finish first draft and revision of Hilda (working title).
  8. Come up with 3-book series concept and characters.
  9. Write first draft of first book of series.
  10. Send 2 query letters each week.
  11. Participate in Virginia Ellis workshop.
  12. Enter 2 contests.
  13. Take at least two professional writing workshops or classes.
  14. Attend all GRW meetings.
  15. Attend Moonlight & Magnolias Conference.
  16. Pitch at Moonlight & Magnolias Conference.
  17. Organize papers, journals and letters.
  18. Read one work of fiction each week.
  19. Read one book on the craft of writing each week.
  20. Set Top 5 Priority List and review every quarter.
TOP 5 WRITING CAREER PRIORITY LIST FOR FIRST QUARTER, 2011
  1. Organize papers, journals and letters.
  2. Establish and maintain consistent schedule to incorporate writing, reading, revision, blogging, support and accountability.
  3. Write 500 new words every day.
  4. Revise and polish The Wishing Box so it will be ready for submission second quarter.
  5. Attend GRW meetings each month to maintain personal and professional connections.

Sure, I want to find an agent and/or editor and be published in 2011. But I limited myself to S.M.A.R.T goals - specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely - and I think they will help me to maintain my focus and make great strides with my writing this year.

I have posted a list of Musical Goals for 2011 on my blog Notes from the Piano, and am working on lists of goals to support my jewelry design business and my family.

If you haven't done so already, I encourage you to take some time to ponder your personal and professional goals for the year, and create your own first-quarter priority list. You will be glad you did!

2 comments:

Mary Beth Chickering said...

If you want something done, ask the busiest person you know...
Great blog...I have my day planner pulled out and waiting fo morning!

Pam said...

So true, Mary! Thanks for stopping by! :-)