Friday, February 25, 2011

Choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow

I have been pushing really hard the past several weeks, and since I am scheduled to work both tomorrow and Sunday judging piano festivals, I decided to take the day off.

I slept late, then went back to bed with a cup of coffee and a book my mom gave me for Christmas and read for hours before having a late lunch with a friend at El Potro in Buford.

Shrimp quesadilla, refried beans, guacamole salad

On my way home, I made a deposit at the bank and picked up a bag of food for my dog.
My kids are out this evening; as soon as I am finished here, I am going to settle in with a glass of wine and a Netflix DVD that has been sitting here waiting for me for weeks.

You have to allow a certain amount of time in which you are doing nothing in order to have things occur to you, to let your mind think.
~Mortimer Adler

I feel good - rested and refreshed and ready to hit it hard again tomorrow.

***

Thursday morning, I dreamt that I was clearing snow from a railroad track in preparation for the coming train. Suddenly, the train appeared; I wasn't able to get out of the way in time, and the train ran over my left hand. Miraculously, I escaped unscathed.

Then I was on the train; seated behind me were four women wearing long calico dresses and granny grasses. They were talking and laughing and clearly having a great time together. Turned out they were on their way home from a writer's conference. They welcomed me into their group with open arms.

I believe the train represents my novel and clearing the tracks is all the work I have been doing writing it. I was afraid the train might crash, terrified it would run over me, but my worst fears were not realized. In the end, I found myself with a great new group of friends.

Reality to dreams. Dreams to reality.

Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold. But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow.
~Douglas Pagels, These are the Gifts I'd Like to Give You

4 comments:

Tami Brothers said...

Sounds like a good day. We need those every now and then. Trust me when I say that I can totally see where you are coming from and sometimes we need a break to refill the well.

Hope you enjoyed it. Now get back to work! ;-)

Tami

Lindy said...

I personally like the image of your novel moving like a train toward publication.

Pam said...

Hey Tami,

I judged from 8:30-5 today; now I'm home and ready to start the revision of my novel. I hope you're satisfied!

Seriously, thanks for the kick in the seat. :-)

Pam

Pam said...

Lindy,

Me, too!

Kind of goes along with my motto:
Chugga, chugga, choo, choo.

:-)

Pam