Saturday, February 5, 2011

Gearing Up for Valentine's Day

I love holidays, and Valentine's Day is no exception. When my boys were growing up, I organized valentine craft parties for our home school support group so our children could have the whole box decorating/card exchanging/sugar orgy experience I had enjoyed so much as a little girl. And I have appreciated the diva delights that come with being the object of someone's affection - such things as a nice meal out, a box of gourmet candy, flower arrangements of every size, bunches of balloons and build-a-bears, depending on the gift giver's style.

But now my boys are too big for valentine parties and, in my current single state, it isn't likely that I am going to be showered with roses or chocolates. This is causing me a certain amount of anxiety, so while the big "V" is still a few days away, it isn't a moment too soon to take steps to head off the Valentine's Day blues.

I started today, by treating myself a holiday read, His Valentine Surprise by Tanya Michaels. Tanya is a local author; I had the privilege of meeting her at last year's M&M Conference and working with her during the Pitch Workshop. That's right; she helped me rework my pitch before I presented it to the agent and the editor at the conference. She was warm and wise and sweet and funny and I am really looking forward to curling up with this book and a glass of red wine on February 14th. And since Tanya will be our featured speaker atGRW on the following Friday, I will have the opportunity to get my book signed, as well. I can hardly wait.

Do you have any special Valentine's Day traditions? What is the best gift you have ever received? If you are single, do you find ways to take care of yourself?

No comments: