Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day


Yesterday got squashed, situated as it was between piano festival and this dreaded holiday. Too tired, sore and sad to sleep Saturday night - will I never learn to wear sensible shoes when I know I am going to be on my feet all day? and will I never meet a man who makes good on his promises? - I napped on and off all afternoon, in between chapters of my luscious novel and bites of chocolate (thanks, Jennifer!) I needed the time off. But by nightfall, I was feeling guilty: about the writing I haven't finished, the ten pounds I need to lose, the laundry barely started, the clutter in my home, the price of gasoline, the situation in Egypt. The self-loathing was at an all-time high.

Why do I do this?

The greatest magnifying glasses in the world are a man's own eyes when they look upon his own person.
~Alexander Pope

Still exhausted, I fell asleep watching Desperate Housewives and slept soundly until my alarm went off at 6AM. My first thought? It's Valentine's Day. Yuck. My second? Get up, you lazy bum, you have SO MUCH to do.

ENOUGH.

I am good at setting goals, at making a list and checking it twice. I take care of everything, I take care of everyone, and I wonder why I am tired all the time. So this year I am giving myself a very special valentine.

I am going to take care of myself FIRST.

Love yourself first and everything falls into line.
~Lucille Ball

I am going to eat healthy food, even though it costs more and takes more time to prepare, and go to the gym every morning BEFORE I do my writing. If I'm sleep deprived, I'm not going to drink coffee to make up the deficit, knowing that just perpetuates the sleeplessness; I'm going to create a soothing nighttime ritual and be in bed, lights out, by eleven o'clock, period. I am going to make a date with myself once a week - I'm not sure what night yet - to give myself a facial, to soak in the garden tub, to polish my fingernails.

I am going to take advantage of every opportunity to get out into the sunshine.

I don't judge other people by the amount of work they do, by their clothing size, or the amount of dust on their furniture. I know they are doing their best, and I love them just the way they are. Shouldn't I be equally supportive of myself?

And it occurs to me that the better I feel, the better I will be able to give.

The truth is if you did nothing more than find ways to feel good more of the time, you'd start to magnetize your dream with more and more power and speed.
~Sonia M. Miller, Attraction Distraction

Makes sense, doesn't it?

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.
You're on your own.
And you know what you know.
You are the guy who'll decide where to go.

~Dr. Seuss

2 comments:

unstoppablestart said...

Kid, you'll move mountains.

Pam said...

Thanks, Lindy. :-)