Wednesday, February 23, 2011

It is finished...well, sort of...

I FINISHED THE FIRST DRAFT OF MY MANUSCRIPT YESTERDAY!!!

Now it is printed, hole punched, and in a binder, awaiting revision.

I have pitched this novel three times; the first time, the agent suggested there might not be enough conflict in the story. I have made significant changes to the plot since then; however, I did not fully understand the meaning of "conflict" until I read this blog post by Kristen Lamb, author of We Are Not Alone: The Writer's Guide to Social Media. I find it totally serendipitous that Ms. Lamb published this article just when she did. It is exactly what I needed, precisely when I needed it.

My (ambitious) goal is to have the revision completed prior to my departure for the Southern Lights Conference in Jacksonville, Florida March 12th, at which I hope to land another agent appointment. When I get back, I am going to query like crazy.

And get busy on my next project.

***

I was extremely proud to show my work in progress in its current state of semi-completion to my critique partners at our weekly meeting this morning. In response, they gave me big hugs and enthusiastic attagirls. Also, Lindy fed us quiche and muffins and blueberries.

Lindy, breakfast maker extraordinaire
and the epitome of grace under fire

The three of us have big plans, separately and together. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Tami Brothers said...

Yay!!!!!! I love these days. Most people don't understand how impressive this is. To have finished a book is amazing in itself and I (and many, many others) am very proud of you.

Cyber champagne headed your way!

Tami

Pam said...

Thanks, Tami! This may not be the best book I ever write, but I am convinced it is was the hardest to write. Thanks for the cyber champagne - cheers! :-)