Thursday, February 10, 2011

Millet Muffins

I tried making muffins again this morning, and these turned out just right. Here is the recipe, adapted from the Bread Beckers' recipe for basic muffins.

MILLET MUFFINS

2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour (I used fresh milled red wheat)
1/4 cup whole millet
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup buttermilk (I substituted 1 cup milk mixed with 1 tablespoon vinegar, but buttermilk works better)
1 egg
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup honey

Measure dry ingredients into mixing bowl. Add liquids and mix just until well blended. Drop by spoonfuls into greased muffin tins. Bake at 350 degrees* for 15 minutes. Remove from tins. Serve warm with your favorite muffin spread on the side. I like butter and orange marmalade.

*The Bread Beckers' recipe says 400 degrees but that didn't work so well for me yesterday.

Let me know if you try these muffins!

2 comments:

Pamela Mason said...

Thanks for the recipe! Once I find the millet & wheat, I'll be making these. Delicious!

Pam said...

You're welcome! Let me know how they turn out.