Thursday, February 3, 2011

Who needs a therapist when there's Jody?

I finally fell asleep about four o'clock this morning. I didn't quite make it to the car dealership for my oil change at seven, but I arrived at Shenanigans Hair Studio & Spa just in time for my eight thirty appointment.

Most of the women I know indulge in certain pampering rituals, professional services that they simply cannot do without. Some splurge on facials or a bi-weekly mani/pedi; others swear by acupuncture or hot stone massage. Me? I spend money on my hair, highlights and low lights and a stylish cut, thank you very much.

There isn't a word to describe my natural hue, although "mousy brown" comes pretty close; to add insult to injury, there are now little flecks of gray. I hate to admit this, but I was seeing a lot of both - the mousy brown and the gray - because I hadn't been to see my hairdresser since the end of September. I simply didn't have the money. Can you say "dark roots?"

And yes, I know that over-the-counter hair color products are inexpensive and plentiful. But I can't even select the right shade of foundation or lipstick without assistance. There's no way I'm going to experiment on my hair.

Anyway, my appointment was with Jody, the shop owner. A friend referred me to her when I was going through my divorce, and I have been faithful to her ever since. When I paid her that first visit, my hair was long and thick and straight and its original color. Bor-ing! But I had worked hard to grow that mane out; I was very protective of it, and Jody totally respected my wishes, giving me the tiniest trim and nothing more. Gradually, though, I grew to trust her, and started granting her some leeway with both style and color. Over the years, I have been a redhead, a brunette, and a blonde; my hair has been long, short, and everywhere in between. After she refused to give me either a curly perm or dreadlocks - both bad ideas, I realize now - I stopped asking for anything and just let her have her way with me. It's great not having the responsibility of decision. I simply walk into the shop, put on an apron, plop down in her chair, and let her work her magic on me.

She has been there for me through thick and thin; she knows me better than just about anyone. She has sunny spirit and a big heart, and does much more for her clients that just give them great haircuts.

It is always a thrill for me when she is finally finished and she spins that big chair around so it faces the mirror and I can see the results.

The fabulous Jody and me (with no make-up but great hair)

The services she performed for me today cost about the same as an hour of therapy, but at the end of our session, I had a whole new look in addition to a whole new outlook on life. Thanks, Jody. You're the best.

10 comments:

Carley said...

I love it--makes me feel even older though when I look at how young you look-LOL Happy to see a more happy spirited blog from you, too. Keep smiling & the clouds eventually give way to the sunshine hiding behind them. Love you & praying for you always.

Pam said...

After getting so little sleep last night, I think I look pretty haggard in that picture, especially with no make-up on, but I guess I should just accept your compliment gracefully - LOL! It's amazing what a difference a little self-care can make in one's outlook; I really needed this! And by the way, I went to the Honda dealership AFTER I got my hair done. So now my car is feeling better, too! :-) Hugs!

SAIDFRAZ said...

I saw the haircut in person and you look fabulous!

Pam said...

Thanks, Sherri! I just hope I can style it like she did after I wash it this morning! ;-)

Stacey said...

I love, love, love, the new haircut! It is perfect for you! I thought the exact same thing after my last haircut and pampering session. It was better than therapy, and my happy quotient is at an all time high.

Pam said...

I know exactly what you mean, Stacey. Next on my list is a pedicure. :-)

Carol Burnside said...

Such a brave woman you are! Congrats on the new do. It's like balm to the soul, getting a little pampering now and then.

Geez, that's something else I've got to find fairly quickly at my new location - a hairdresser - because my roots and gray are showing too.

Pam said...

Thanks, Carol! Yes, finding a new stylist is Priority #1. Good luck! I don't know what I would do without Jody. I hope she never retires!

Natalie said...

Awesome! I love Jody too :)

Pam said...

I'm so glad you went to see her, Natalie! I do my best to keep her chair full. :-)