Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Finish what you start!

"Best advice on writing I've ever received. Finish."
~ Peter Mayle

Here is a great link for all my writer friends: a free course on how to finish your novel by Timothy Hallinan. He says this information is for you "if you've started a novel but are having trouble finishing it, or you want to start a novel but aren't sure you'll be able to finish it." I bet many of you fall into one of those two categories.

I have a lifetime of experience in two subjects that a lot of folks have thought about doing or would like to be able to do better. One is playing the piano; the other is writing. I am here for you! If you want to learn the piano, sign up for lessons. We can do them in my piano studio or via Skype. If you want to write a book, read Timothy Hallinan's tutorial. Seriously. It's that good.

***

My life is topsy turvy right now, with many uncertainties and a handful of big decisions to be made. But there is one thing I know for sure. I am going to finish my revision of The Wishing Box by the end of this month. And then I am going to move on. Because I am literally exploding with ideas for new projects.

Is there anything you have always wanted to do that you haven't tried yet? If so, what is it and what is stopping you from getting started and achieving your goal?

10 comments:

Debbie Maxwell Allen said...

Hi Pam! Thank you so much for posting a link. The course has helped me so much with sticking to my novel to see it through. I'm getting close. Best of luck to you with yours!

~Debbie

Pam said...

Thanks, Debbie! We can encourage each other! Thank you for stopping by!

 Casey Geyer said...

It's actually impossible to literally explode with ideas.

Pam said...

That's what Uncle Eric said... ;-)

unstoppablestart said...

Please don't explode in the literal sense, Pam. That would be messy. It doesn't matter what you post about, in some way, you always touch my heart because you are so open with yours. Thanks for the share and the link. Can't wait until tomorrow to keep following my dreams and watch you follow yours.

-Lindy

Pamela Mason said...

Something's in the air... besides pollen.. because the creativity muses are all over! Makes it hard to see one thing through to the end, when there's another... and another... and another.. just exploding out of your head and brain and hands! I understand you completely!

Pam said...

Thanks, Lindy. It turns out that one of the definitions of the word "explosion" is "a sudden great increase." So maybe it would have been more accurate to say "there as been an explosion of ideas" recently. Regardless, these are exciting times! :-)

Pam said...

Pamela - FINALLY!! - somebody understands me! :-)

Julee Adams said...

It's easy to get overwhelmed and distracted. I call it...spring fever! (Remember "Up" where the dog says, "Squirrel!"?) Unfortunately, that's the way my mind always works. My husband sighs everytime I say I'm doing another edit, asking if I ever will finish or pull a Stanley Kubrick and edit it to death. I'm a firm believer in the "don't give them an excuse to reject you" school, so I will edit it down some more. Make your notes on your other ideas though, so you can come back to them!

Pam said...

I've definitely got a case of "spring fever," Julee. Maybe that's what's going on! Regardless, I really want to put this first book behind me, because I know the second one will be much, much better. I am chomping at the bit to move on to my next project. But first I am going to finish what I started. :-)