Thursday, March 31, 2011

Just Breathe

A place of peace
Long story short: Tuesday I was diagnosed with "asthmatic bronchitis," and it was a wake-up call for me. I was in denial about the whole asthma thing until then. But from this moment forward, I will take my preventive medication as prescribed, drink plenty of fluids every day, and get adequate rest every night. Because I don't want to end up sick as I was ever again.

You heard it here first.

And now that I have regained the ability to inhale deeply, I am going to return to my daily practice of sitting quietly for ten minutes first thing every morning and focusing on my breath. In through the nose, out through the mouth - slowly, slowly. Eyes wide open, thinking sublimated to counting the breaths: one, two, three, four, then start again.

Why is it so hard to break bad habits and so easy to lose good ones?

***

Tomorrow I begin my spring break, ten days without the time constraints imposed by my piano teaching schedule. I will miss my students, but I have big plans for those ten days. I need to work on my income taxes, tackle some home improvements, do some spring cleaning. But my priorities are breathing and writing. Everything else will follow.

***

Don't forget, you have until midnight Saturday to cast your vote for your online book club selection. Just click HERE. We're going to have some good old-fashioned fun - right here on the internet!

2 comments:

Melissa Marsh said...

I remember when I woke up from surgery (I had a cyst on my ovary that burst and they had to do emergency surgery on me to remove it) and I couldn't breathe well. They said it was a side effect from the anesthesia, but it scared me SO BADLY. Not being able to breathe and inhale deeply is terrifying to me, so I have an inkling of what you must have experienced.

I hope you feel better and I wish you much luck on establishing good habits! They are hard, aren't they? If I had to establish a habit to eat my Dove Dark chocolate every day, I would have a 100% positive outcome!

Pam Asberry said...

Hi Melissa,
It really is a frightening situation. I carry an inhaler with me now in case of emergency. It is very comforting! Like Dove dark chocolate! :-)
Thanks for your good wishes!
Pam