Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Kale Salad/More Book Club


Mm-mm!!

KALE SALAD

1/2 cups toasted chopped pecans or walnuts (I used pecans)
1/2 cup dried fruit (I used golden raisins)
1/2 cup chopped black olives
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice (fresh works best)
1/8 teaspoon salt
Kale (I used a 16-ounce bag, pre-washed and chopped)

Combine and toss.

This is the recipe for the delicious Kale Salad Denise made Friday afternoon. Try it, you'll like it! Since kale doesn't wilt, Denise says this will keep in the refrigerator for days; I made a batch this afternoon, but I don't think it's going to last long enough for me to find out. And I cook for teenage boys!

***

I am excited about next month's virtual book club. To join the fun, simply click HERE to help select our first title; the survey will close at midnight on Saturday. I will announce the winner on Sunday, then start reading! We will begin our online discussion right here on Friday, May 13th, but if you can't make it on that exact date, don't worry; I will leave comments open for a week. Just because we can't meet in my living room doesn't mean we can't have a grand old time sharing our responses to a wonderful piece of literature!

FYI, here are links to the books, in case you would like to find out more about them.

1. Balancing Acts by Zoe Fishman
2. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
4. Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout
5. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
6. The Help by Kathryn Stockett
7. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
8. When We Were Strangers by Pamela Schoenewaldt

NOTE: I have been ever-so-slightly critizied for my "girly" choices. Well, this may be our first online book club, but I hope it will not be our last. So, guys, if you have suggestions for next time, speak now or forever hold your peace!

4 comments:

Patti said...

I've read a few of the books, and although girly, they are very good. Thanks for coming by my blog and it's nice to get to know other writers.

Pam Asberry said...

Patti, thank you for visiting! I plan to read all the books; it's just a question of which one to start with. So many books, so little time, right?

Debbie Maxwell Allen said...

I had no idea kale didn't wilt. Thanks for the recipe!

~Debbie

Pam Asberry said...

Debbie, I had this salad again for lunch today, and I think it was even better than last night! And the next time I make it, I think I will either double the recipe for the dressing, or use less of the greens, although I am sure it is healthier the way it is. Let me know if you try it!