Sunday, March 20, 2011

Living Loud

It has been quite a weekend.

I crossed Item #50 off my Amazing Life List.

I took Nathan for a haircut and commiserated with Jody. We have big plans. I'll give you a hint.


Can you guess?

I helped my friend and critique partner Lindy celebrate her 39th birthday at Cafe Istanbul in Decatur. Great food, great atmosphere, great friends. I can't wait to go back!

Happy Birthday, dear Lindy!

I ran a few errands; I spent some time in the sun; I did a spot of spring cleaning. And I cooked Mexican food - chicken and veggie quesadillas, refried beans, rice and salad - and hosted a second birthday celebration for Nathan.

My boy's got swagger.

Yep, the weekend went by too fast. Don't they all?

But I needed it. One of Julia Cameron's best pieces of advice to creative individuals in her books The Artist's Way is to "fill the well," to replenish the creative reservoir - to take the time to turn inward to relax as well as outward to observe. I did plenty of both. I feel refreshed and invigorated.

So first thing tomorrow, it's back to work. I've got to finish the revision of The Wishing Box, get the synopsis of Hilda (working title) written and off to the agent from last weekend, and outline the two books I've got in my head. Maybe I am a fiction writer, after all.

"We only live once, but once is enough if we do it right. Life your life with class, dignity, and style so that an exclamation, rather than a question mark, signifies it!"

~Gary Ryan Blair

6 comments:

Constance Phillips said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend! Awesome advice, I find if I don't take some 'down time' now and again, my work really suffers.

Pam said...

It's true, Constance! My tendency is to drive myself into the ground, then wonder why I am depleted and exhausted. I probably need to write this on Post-Its and hang them in every room on my house: FILL THE WELL! Thanks for stopping by!

Eric Asberry said...

I was honored to be a peripheral part of your amazing weekend! :)

Pam said...

Ah, but you are an integral part of my amazing life, little brother. I am looking forward to growing old with you and SeDonna! (Even though you think I am already old). :-)

Lindy said...

Amazing weekends happen to amazing people! Your life will definitely be punctuated with an exclaimation mark.

Pam said...

Thanks, Lindy! Let's leave a trail of exclamation points behind us. Whaddya say? ;-)