Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Nathan's Birthday Cake

Happy Birthday, dear Nathan!!

My youngest turned fifteen today. FIFTEEN? How can that be? Where have the years gone?

He had to catch the school bus at 6:10 this morning and I had piano students until 8:30, but we celebrated with birthday cake and ice cream after I finished teaching. Since my cupboards are practically bare, I was forced to bake from scratch. It turned out it didn't take much more time than opening a box, and the results were so much better. I may never buy a cake mix or canned frosting again.

The yellow cake recipe I followed was nothing special, but the frosting was truly delicious - light, creamy, and fresh tasting. Here is the recipe.

FRENCH SILK FROSTING

2 2/3 cups powdered sugar
2/3 cup butter, softened
2 ounces melted unsweetened chocolate, cooled
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons half and half

Beat powdered sugar, butter, chocolate and vanilla in small mixer bowl on low speed. Add milk gradually; beat until smooth and fluffy. Frosts two nine-inch layers.

2 comments:

Tami Brothers said...

Yummy! I will definitely be trying this. Heck, I have most of that stuff in my cupbards, too. Never thought about making it....

Love his hair. Mine is trying to get his to look like that.

Why????

Have a great weekend.

Tami

Pam said...

Tami, let me know if you try the recipe. It was so easy and totally delicious! As for the hair, well, I have no idea why. I have an appointment with my hairdresser for Nathan to get a trim tomorrow, but I promise you it won't look much different after she gets finished. ;-) You have a great weekend, too!