Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Serendipity

Serendipity is the act of finding something valuable or delightful when you are not looking for it. It happens to me all the time. Often, when I reflect upon a discovery, I am unable to recall the exact sequence of events that led to it. But there it is waiting for me, like a starfish on the beach.

Here are a few treasures I uncovered today.

1. Anna DeStefano blogged about "locked and loaded" external conflict in novel writing. This was precisely the information I needed as I struggle with my revision, trying to turn my story into a page-turner.

2. Jolina Petersheim blogged about the force that compels some of us to keep writing even in the midst of the current "publishing apocalypse." This is one of the most beautifully written posts I have ever read, and gave me a ray of hope on a day when I was seriously questioning the wisdom of investing so many hours in a book that seems so far from ever being published.

3. Kristen Lamb blogged about writers maintaining sanity in the effort to build platform. (After I finished her post, I went ahead and bought myself a copy of We Are Not Alone - The Writers Guide to Social Media.) For the first time, I truly understand what platform is and what it isn't, and I am giving myself permission to be who I am - nothing more and nothing less - here on my personal blog. Like my bio says, my life has many facets, and I need to let them all shine through here, even as I continue to plug away on my manuscript, making sure that the finished product will be so great that you all will want to buy it and read it - and give extra copies to your to your ten closest friends and family members.

Just kidding.

I meant TWENTY closest friends and family members.

I intend to continue blogging daily, but you can look forward to a wider range of topics; for example, I will include my crafty posts - after all, the heroine of my novel is a jewelry designer. (However, my music education blog, Notes from the Piano, will remain separate.)

The fact is, I do not know enough about the craft of writing to provide authoritative instruction on the topic - certainly not on a daily basis - although I can certainly guide you to some wonderful online resources, like I did today. And maybe if I am honest with you - about my dreams and schemes, my struggles and successes, my fears and failures - I will inspire you to try something you have always wanted to do. Whether it's writing a book or playing the piano or knitting a scarf or trying a new recipe, there is joy in the journey. And, my oh my, how one thing leads to another.

It's serendipity.

7 comments:

Debra Becht said...

And why can't we DO IT ALL! Can you post some instructional insightful commentary on how to get more hours in the day?

Pam said...

Deb, I will get right on that! LOL!

Constance Phillips said...

I'm reading the "We Are Not Alone" book now too. A lot of great information there. Thanks for sharing the links, Pam.

Constance Phillips said...

I'm reading the "We are Not Alone" book too now, Pam. She gives a lot of good advice. Thanks for sharing the links, Pam.

Pam said...

Kristen Lamb is a GREAT teacher. I am hoping to start digging into her book this weekend. Thank you so much for stopping by, Constance!

Carol Burnside aka Annie Rayburn said...

I inherited another sewing machine and tons of related accoutrements after my mother's recent passing. It's a hobby I used to love, but danged if I can find the time to sew more than the occasional rip or small adjust-a-drape job.

Guess I'll just keep my creative focus on writing for awhile. It was pretty serendipitous, me finding that writing was something I enjoyed, so I'm running with it.

Pam said...

Carol, I used to sew all the time, too; I even worked in an upscale fabric store for a few years, selling sewing machines and teaching classes. I did English smocking, French heirloom sewing, and quilting, and made almost all my maternity clothes. But it has been months since I have used my sewing machine, and although I do make time for beading, that's about as crafty as I have time to get these days. Because, like you, I have made a commitment to writing. It is quite a task master, isn't it? ;-)